 Events / 349
Re: How about a Brickfest West?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 07:29:18 GMT

In lugnet.events, Mark Sandlin writes:
in article GGLICz.GA1@lugnet.com, tom wrote:

<snip>

And a S. Cal. event would attract people from all over Cali, Arizona,
Nevada, and even Mexico, maybe even Texas!

Really? Maybe it's a silly assumption to make, but I don't see any LUGs in
Nevada, Arizona, or Mexico.

Ya, I know - but maybe that just means there is nobdy that wants to be the
one to organize the club, and maybe you are right. I have no idea. But, I do
know of 9 AFOLS in Arizona :) lol (ok, i know that is a sad #)

My point was that we have SEALUG, VicLUG, VLC, NALUG, and PNLTC all within a
reasonable proximity to Seattle. Where there are LUGs, there are AFOLs.

Yes. But the flip side is not true, just because there is no LUGS does not
mean no AFOLS, but I do agree there is a known number (somewhat) of AFOLS in
the NW area.

It would take me 14 hours just to drive to San Francisco, to say nothing of
making it all the way to Carlsbad. So I would *have* to buy a plane ticket
just so I could have time to be at the 'fest, as would almost anyone else
who doesn't live in California.

And the flip side for the people in S. Cal, it would take them an amazing
amount of time to go up to Seatle, or to Portland.

Yes. My point was that there are several LUGs fairly close together in the
Northwest, and therefore you maximize the number of AFOLs who could come to
your 'fest, yes?

Eh, maybe.
But that just means that the local LUGS will be getting together - and I
have no idea, but have they never done anything as one before? If not I
would be surprised, it would make sense. From what I see LUGOLA and the
trian club act as one alot, even though they are 2 different clubs. But like
I said, I have no idea. And I am wondering the point I was trying to make,
oh - I was just curious.

It may not guarantee a greater attendance, but it most likley will.

Well, that's an opinion we could argue about all night.

Lol, yes. and nothing would come of it.

Heck,
somebody flew all the way out here from AUS to attend a wedding that was
going to be held at LL.

Yes, I know. I was there. I met him. I'm pretty sure the main impetus of his
visit was the wedding, and not LLC.

Ok, at that point in time I was only "lightly ghosting" these boards, all I
knew was he came out here and I believe he had never met the people that
were going to have the wedding.

Speaking for myself, I went to meet people, not to spend the weekend at LLC.
But we still spent the better part of a day at LLC. You get a bunch of
people down there for the first time, and there goes your attendance. See
below.

See below..

And as far as LL taking away time form festing, why not just have a day to
be spent at LL, you can rent space from them, if it is in the winter time
there could be an after hours get together, just tink how cool that would
be, having LL just for us! Or, if it was in the summer time, LL is open
late, more than enough time to fest in the am and explore LL in the
afternoon/night. Miniland is amazing when its all lit up like a real city.

Yeah, it's pretty neat. I think I'll defer to Frank's report on what happens
to your attendance when there's a big LEGO related activity outside your
'fest happenings:

http://news.lugnet.com/events/?n=339

Yes, I agree. I would want to meet people, that would be a huge part of it.
And I agree that LL could be a distraction, but thats why I suggested 2 things:
1. Having a day of the fest, maybe the last day (everybody is saying it
would be a multi-day fest) the day to go to LL, have everybody go at once
type of thing.
2. Having a after-hours get together at LL, They do have options that you
can have a after hours thing there - granted I have no details about this,
but its worth looking into.

And I do like the idea of a rotating fest, this would solve this problem
pretty much, but will they be willing to give it up back east for a few years?

Nope. I can say that with a fairly high degree of certainty.

lol, thought so

IMO, this isn't about taking Brickfest from the East Coast... it's about
giving us West Coast folks a fest that's a bit more local. Speaking for
myself, I don't intend to compete with Brickfest, only to parallel it.

Sounds good.

In any case, I'll try to attend a 'fest, wherever it is decided we hold it.

Yes, I know I will do everything in my reach to atend it, no matter if it is
in S. Cali, or the home of starbucks. It would be a really neat event, no
matter where it is held (if it is held)

~Grand Admiral Muffin Head

Tom (I feel as if i should have a cute name thing) Inosanto