 Events / 348
Re: *RESULTS-New Brickfest Initial Interest Survey-RESULTS*
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 06:12:20 GMT

And now for my comments on the survey, and last bunch of posts on the subject.

I feel that these are the most important and telling numbers from the
survey. One by one-by the question:

1) Do you have an interest in attending an event on the scale and caliber of
the current Brickfest on the West Coast?

52 Yes
1 No

I think it is fairly obvious that most folks would enjoy seeing another
event of this scale. Since the initial subject and following discussions
were about the West Coast, it seems that AT LEAST one event is called for here.

2a) If only one event were developed to serve the entire West Coast, where
would you most like to see it held?

23 Carlsbad, CA (LEGOLAND™)
22 Seattle, WA
9 Other (Please specify below):
-Everytime LUGOLA discusses this idea, the options of Reno, Nevada and Salt
Lake City, Utah pop up. We'd love to include those that are west of the
Mississippi rather than just west coast.
-Las Vegas might interest non-AFOL spouses to come for the trip - just a thought

LEGOLAND seems to be a big draw. While I understand that it COULD detract
from the event, no one has mentioned that the park might DRAW VISITORS to
the fest itself! With the right spin, help from the park, and a close enough
location, park visitors might actually come over to check out the fest!
Wouldn't THAT be cool?

Also, Tom I. brought up an excellent point about possible after-hours time
in the park. Looking forward to going into the park alon on one or more
nights would keep folks from blowing a day there. I'm going to look into
this this week, and I'll let you all know what happens (I've made a few
contacts down there already).

3) If more than one event were developed for the West Coast, would you be
likely to attend events in both Southern California and in the Pacific
Northwest?

13 Yes
38 No

It seems like West Coast folks are willing to do just one event, and remote
folks are only willing to travel once. I know PNW could draw a crowd, and I
think Mark and the gang should really look at doing an event. There is an
obvious split on where folks are willing to go, though, and maybe a new
thought is called for here: One concurrent event at LLC, and one event in a
different quarter for the PNW folks to enjoy. I personally, with a 2 year
old and one due in October, really can't justify DC, PNW, or multiple events
elsewhere. I really would just like to get together with other AFOL once a
year. The difference being, I am also willing to work on the event, if possible.

5a) What time of year would you most like to see an event of this type take
place?

20 Winter
18 Spring
22 Summer
14 Fall

An event close to Brickfest DC or its exact opposite seem likely.

7a) An idea has been forwarded to have additional Brickfest events run
concurrently with the event in Washington, D.C., as opposed to one or more
regional events happening over the course of the year. Would you rather see
multiple, nationwide events happe

7 Concurrent events
40 Quarterly events

7b) Would you actually be able to attend events in multiple locations over
the course of the year?

19 Yes
31 No

These are the numbers I watched the most closely during the survey. It seems
to me that while most people are enamored of the IDEA of multiple, regional,
quarterly events, they wouldn't actually ATTEND the events. I applaud folks
for being honest about this. Why should anyone knock themselves out trying
to put on an event every quarter, if no one will/can show up?

With these types of numbers brought to light, why would concurrent events
then be as bad as some have said? I'm still not willing to advocate either
concurrent or quarterly exclusively, but I know which way I'd probably vote
right now if there were a committee deciding the final outcome.

I'm just looking at numbers right now (as you can imagine, I've read all of
the survey results several times while working with them, and pretty much
know where folks stand on the issues). Most of the comments submitted just
echoed parts of the tread here, but I might re-visit them later.

Matt