 Events / 367
Re: *RESULTS-New Brickfest Initial Interest Survey-RESULTS*
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 18:28:39 GMT

In lugnet.events, Kevin Wilson writes:
Matthew Gerber wrote in message ...

2a) If only one event were developed to serve the entire West Coast, where
would you most like to see it held?

23 Carlsbad, CA (LEGOLAND™)
22 Seattle, WA
9 Other (Please specify below):
-Everytime LUGOLA discusses this idea, the options of Reno, Nevada and • Salt
Lake City, Utah pop up. We'd love to include those that are west of the
Mississippi rather than just west coast.
-Las Vegas might interest non-AFOL spouses to come for the trip - just a
thought

This to me says there is equal support for Carlsbad and Seattle (you have a
pretty small sample size there Matthew).

You know what? I left Seattle there on purpose, and then completely forgot
to type anything about it. Thanks for catching me! I meant to say something
like "Seattle and Carlsbad are neck and neck, so the possibility of two
events seems more than likely." Of course, I've said that several other
times in different places too, so it's not like I was ignoring the topic.

As for the sample size...like I mentioned before, it was a much better
return than if we had tried to muck through all of these posts complaining
about us saying "Brickfest", with many more people weighing in than we had
seen here too. I was happy with the results, and only stopped because some
folks were writing novellas of information that was getting to be too much
to forward into the results. I'll definately change the way I put together
any future surveys, that's for darn sure 8?)

7 Concurrent events
40 Quarterly events

7b) Would you actually be able to attend events in multiple locations over
the course of the year?

19 Yes
31 No

These are the numbers I watched the most closely during the survey. It • seems
to me that while most people are enamored of the IDEA of multiple, • regional,
quarterly events, they wouldn't actually ATTEND the events. I applaud folks
for being honest about this. Why should anyone knock themselves out trying
to put on an event every quarter, if no one will/can show up?

I don't see these numbers as meaning the same thing as you do. If people are
thinking of quarterly events as regional, then it makes perfect sense that
many people would attend their regional event and not others out of region
(which is what a lot of people in the thread have been saying) although some
people would enjoy travelling around to multiple events. It's my
understanding that this is the same pattern as attendance at Brickfest
itself - the majority of people were from the East Coast region, with a
strong showing of travellers from other areas (and internationally).

Right, but the majority of folks don't want to/can't/aren't willing to
travel great distances to go to a LEGO event. Unfortunately, neither do
these people have the time/inclination/resources/etc. to put on and run an
event in their area, so trying to reach the greatest number of people as an
event can is a good thing.

If we had difinitive numbers on local vs. non-local attendance at Brickfest,
we might see better what was actually happening there (I'm not asking anyone
to find/figure-out/forward this info...I'm just sayin'...).

I'm not totally happy with what I typed in those last two paragraphs...it
seems like we are arguing the same side of the same coin...take what I said
in them with a grain of salt, ok?

Matt