 Events / 366
Re: How about a Brickfest West?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 18:25:23 GMT

In lugnet.events, Todd Thuma writes:
I tend to agree with Rich in part but disagree in another part. It was great
that the WAMALUG folks have started something great. I remember a few of us on
rec.toys.lego a few years back suggested a FOL (A missing because of family
orientation) convention of sorts timed with the opening of Legoland >California.

It never materialized, unfortunately. No one really wanted to organize it and
the idea never carried the fire it need for a grass roots thing to get >started.

Disagree. Gary Louie was in the midst of organising it before he sadly and
unexpectedly passed away. A number of other people carried the torch and
made it happen. I still have my badge from it, it was the largest fest *I*
had been to up until that time (Mindfest was larger but happened later),
there were IIRC upwards of 40 people in attendance.

I have to get back to my client so I am going to answer/reply to a number of
different threads at once with one post.

My opinion is this. It would be realy nice if there were *one* fest that is
badged as *the* national fest and it ought to be yearly. That is not to say
that there ought not to be lots of other fests at the regional, statewide,
citywide etc. level, if people want to organize it.

I would be A-OK with the national fest being the WAMALUG run "BrickFest" but
I would also be A-OK with it having a new name and being run by different
orgs (in rotation or cooperation) and held in different areas each year on a
rotational basis. I see Rich's point about WAMALUG having dibs on the name
since they established a special meaning but I also heard Greg say "we are
going to talk about this and see what we think"

BTW, WAMALUG needs to IMMEDIATELY start putting a TM on the end of
BrickFest, since I note it isn't there currently, unless they are OK with
anyone taking the name and doing whatever they want with it, which is the
current sitch since they aren't asserting trademark. (It is their trademark
I strongly feel and they should protect it)

Having a bunch of fests concurrently is, IMHO, dilutive. Having a fest each
quarter that is that regions "national" fest seems like too many major fests
a year. Not that there is anything wrong with giving it a try but I suspect
attendance will be less.

To a certain extent there is a network effect that, like all network
effects, grows as some power of the number of attendees. Hence I favor one
fest that is the one that everyone feels that they ought to try to make if
at all possible...

PS I snipped most of the rest of Todds post but I agree with most of it.
Especially the part about trying to secure a Uni campus if possible to keep
cost down ( but I am willing to pay 50 instead of 10 with no qualms, I got
50 of value from this years experience, easily...)