 Events / 365
364  |  366
Subject:
WEST COAST EVENT-A COMPILATION OF ANSWERS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 18:01:44 GMT

I apologize in advance for the length of this post.

The overall subject of a West Coast event to supplement/enhance the
BrickFest event in Washington DC is being lost in the usual semantics and
debate. As people take it upon themselves to nitpick items like the use of
the BrickFest name in these discussions, or taking the BrickFest DC event
and making it into a multi-country rotating event, or whatever, need to just
back off for now. These are not the things we were discussing.

I took the time to create the impromptu survey, and gather the results, in
the hope that folks true needs/wants were forwarded WITHOUT a bunch of
argument getting in the way. Arguing the semantics of whether we shold have
the right to say "Brickfest" as we discuss the matter will not get us anywhere.

According to the results, it is fairly obvious that folks on the West Coast
would enjoy a large, multi-LUG/multi-AFOL event. Due to the expansive
distance between all AFOLs on the West Coast, and the surrounding states, it
is possible that more than one event may come of this discussion, to better
serve those LUGs/AFOL who are able/willing to attend such an event.

According to the results, it is also obvious that there are a high number of
AFOL, members of a LUG or not, who do not have the means or desire to travel
to Washington DC for a LEGO event. That means that NO, BrickFest DC is not
necessarily a national event as it stands now. This will very likely also be
true of a rotating event. I think that the people who continue to argue
against an event of this type for whatever reason need to realise that far
many more AFOL cannot spend massive sums of money travelling to a LEGO fest
of any type, than are able to.

In lugnet.events, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
Amusingly, just about everyone wants it held as close to them as possible!

Yes, so altering plans to placate the few people who seem to be
independently wealthy enough to roam the globe looking for their next LEGO
fix is really silly, isn't it? (BTW...if there is some LEGO pyramid scheme
where these folks have developed the free time and cash resources to travel
to these events, I want in...e-mail me the details)

In lugnet.events, Richard W. Schamus writes:
I'm glad that you feel that way. This may make some very unhappy for
geographical regions, but to have multiple fests (whatever name you use as
the banner) is dilative to the "Brickfest(*)" experience. Even at once a
year, I'm not capable of going to more than one fest in any one year.
It is my humble opinion that "Brickfest" has proved itself to be the
premier AFOL gathering.
If your intention is to have the best time at an AFOL gathering with some
of the best modelers in at least the North American continent, "Brickfest"
is absolutely the one event to attend.
I implore all of you who wish to experience something of this magnitude,
start planning today for "Brickfest 2002."

Again, more people DO NOT have the resources to do this than DO. It's just
that simple. I've forwarded the thoughts that I would be willing to take the
time to try to arrange cheap air travel and special hotel rates and
exclusive events to draw folks to an event. It is this sort of thing that
will eventually draw people to a 'national' event, not just telling them
that 'such-and-such-event SHOULD be considered the 'national event', so
'it's this event or nothing'.

In lugnet.events, Richard W. Schamus writes:
(*) "Brickfest" in my humble opinion, has become synonymous to me (and
certainly with others) with the event held in the D.C. area. To utilize the
name of "Brickfest" in conjunction with any other event seems, at the very
least improper, and at worst potentially infringing upon the rights of those
who conceived and have implemented 2 events under that name. I urge those
who discuss fests, other than the two Brickfest that have occurred and the
next planned event, will refrain from utilizing Brickfest in such
discussions. This is only a suggestion, but one that seems (to me at least)
right to suggest. (This view is my own, and not endorsed or suggested by
*The Brickfest Committee*)

This is nitpicking, and should stop. No one is trying to infringe on the
trademark of Brickfest (that last bit is for Todd Thuma also...it IS a
trademark)...we're just talking...geez! Next, we'll be forced to stop saying
'LEGO', and we'll have to resort to saying 'geometric, interlocking, plastic
building toy system in a variety of colors'. The only time Brickfest has
been brought up is to indicate that it WAS a wonderful event, others would
like to attend something LIKE it, and that we might actually throw IN with
it by way of concurrent events. Kevin sums this up here:

In lugnet.trains.org, Kevin Wilson writes:
I think that Brickfest has been de facto a national event because so far it
has been the *only* event of its kind. Once regional fests of the same type
exist, Brickfest may either grow into a national event or become a regional
event and there might be a roving national fest. That's all up in the air at
the moment.

In lugnet.events, Mark Sandlin writes:
What "powers that be"? Who might that be? Seems to me like there are some NW
people and some LA people, and we each want a 'fest to be local.
<snipped stuff from Bruce>
No, because there are a whole lot of people in the NW who won't go to a
'fest in LA just because it's too far. And there are a whole lot of people
in LA who wouldn't be likely to show up at a 'fest in the NW because it's
too far for them as well. So two different 'fests makes sense to accomodate
the greatest number of people.

Mark is on the right track here, as he has been all along. Perhaps we never
should have started a public forum on this subject, and just announced a
finished event when it was arranged. Then folks would have said "Hey! That's
great that you people in the PNW or So. Cal. arranged an event similar to
Brickfest. I'll try to make it if I can!" Perhaps this discussion should
also move out of the public eye in .events and go to our regional or LUG
groups. Or to e-mail for that matter.

Matt