 Events / 369
Re: WEST COAST EVENT-A COMPILATION OF ANSWERS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 19:05:43 GMT

In lugnet.events, Matthew Gerber writes:
According to the results, it is fairly obvious that folks on the West Coast
would enjoy a large, multi-LUG/multi-AFOL event. Due to the expansive
distance between all AFOLs on the West Coast, and the surrounding states, it
is possible that more than one event may come of this discussion, to better
serve those LUGs/AFOL who are able/willing to attend such an event.

I have to say, I really hope that it's a *single* west coast event. If
there's 1 west coast event, there's a good chance I'll go to it. If there
are 2, I probably won't end up going to either, which is kinda sad, but just
the way it is. I'd be too worried that the two events would make each event
less special, and/or grandiose. To me, it's the people you meet-- and I
can't meet as many people if there are two events and I can't go to one of them.

And honestly, that's one of the reasons I can see the point of keeping a
yearly, single event in DC. It's kinda like LegoLand California. There's
only one, and it's hideously far away from me. It doesn't mean I won't go--
BUT, if there were one 10 minutes from me, I'd NEVER go, even if I HAD the
money. And I'm worried that having too many events local to people will
discourage them from EVER travelling. While it may make them happy to *have*
local events, they'll never meet the other people from elsewhere around the
country.

And while I think this can be done without the Brickfest in DC being the
"only" event, I think a happy medium is in order-- and I personally think
having two west coast events breaks the happy medium.

Yes, so altering plans to placate the few people who seem to be
independently wealthy enough to roam the globe looking for their next LEGO
fix is really silly, isn't it?

Well, on the other hand, I don't think we should completely cater to those
of us who are "stuck" being local. No matter *where* you have the event(s),
there'll *always* be people who miss it due to money, time, etc. Like I said
originally, if there were an event in Boston every year, I'd never bother
going anywhere else-- I wouldn't want or need to. And for everyone who only
goes to events close to them, I still want to meet you guys! But there's no
way I can do that with multitudenous events across the country. I can only
meet them if they're willing to do a bit of travelling. And while I don't
want it to be outside of their means, I hate to think of people not
*wanting* to go because they can just wait for their own local event.

This is nitpicking, and should stop.

Well-- I'm inclined to disagree, but only insofar as I think the bigger
picture hasn't lost focus. If this were the *only* thing being discussed,
however, I'd agree.

Mark is on the right track here, as he has been all along. Perhaps we never
should have started a public forum on this subject, and just announced a
finished event when it was arranged. Then folks would have said "Hey! That's
great that you people in the PNW or So. Cal. arranged an event similar to
Brickfest. I'll try to make it if I can!" Perhaps this discussion should
also move out of the public eye in .events and go to our regional or LUG
groups. Or to e-mail for that matter.

I agree. The best information is the survey. I mean, maybe my opinion is way
off base, and I'm the only one who wouldn't go to separate west coast
events, etc. And if so, me voicing my opinion online doesn't really matter.
But on the other hand (as the survey kinda indicated [but really you need
more like a couple hundred responses before it's really accurate, I think])
if most people WON'T attend multiple west-coast-fests, then they'll be a
waste of time. And if that's the case, then this online public discussion is
very much what is needed to ensure that any effort that goes into such an
event isn't wasted. As I said, what makes the event are the people. Having
something as big as the DC Brickfest would've been almost nothing if there
were only 20 people. And it would've been a lot of fun (but only borderline
"worth it") with 50. 100 makes it very worthwhile, and with the 150
(actually even more if I recall correctly) that actually showed up, it was
phenomenal. So please make sure that the intrest is out there before
scheduling such an event.

DaveE