 Events / 368
Re: How about a Brickfest West?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 18:35:11 GMT

In lugnet.events, Mark Sandlin writes:

What "powers that be"? Who might that be? Seems to me like there are some NW
people and some LA people, and we each want a 'fest to be local.

Tom Stangl suggested SoCal, and he isn't from L.A.  I think L.A. is too far
south, and I'm from L.A.  What I keep seeing (and you keep reinforcing) is
that several Northwesterners view this as an us vs. them thing, and I keep
trying to say can't everyone try and think about this other than from their
own narrow personal perspective.

Crying about your long travel times and ignoring others is a selfish way of
going about it.

I think that could have been worded more politely. I haven't called your
opinion "crying." Let's try to remain civil, shall we?

My apologies if I wasn't diplomatic enough.  Replace the word "crying" with
"complaining".

Obviously, other people's travel times are not a concern for me. Just as my
travel times are not a concern for you.

If you believe that then why did you offer your problems as an excuse?  I
disagree in any case - I'm concerned about others' logistic problems, even
if you aren't.  If the idea is to have an inclusive and large gathering of
the west, these things should be considered.

My argument for a 'fest in the NW is no more selfish than your argument for
one in LA. We all want something local. That's not criminal.

But I'm not arguing that it should be in Los Angeles, so again I must
disagree.  The full range of sites and their advantages and disadvantages
should be considered is all I suggested. Seattle, while fine by me (I won't
have to pay hotel costs) may be prohibitive to the largest concentration of
likely attendees.  It may still be the best place (great facilities, easy
access from road and airport, industrious organizers, etc).

So no, my argument, at least, is not based on selfish motives.

Bruce