 Events / 370
Re: How about a Brickfest West?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 19:17:46 GMT

In lugnet.events, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.events, Todd Thuma writes:
I tend to agree with Rich in part but disagree in another part. It was great
that the WAMALUG folks have started something great. I remember a few of us • on
rec.toys.lego a few years back suggested a FOL (A missing because of family
orientation) convention of sorts timed with the opening of Legoland
California.

It never materialized, unfortunately. No one really wanted to organize it and
the idea never carried the fire it need for a grass roots thing to get
started.

Disagree. Gary Louie was in the midst of organising it before he sadly and
unexpectedly passed away. A number of other people carried the torch and
made it happen. I still have my badge from it, it was the largest fest *I*
had been to up until that time (Mindfest was larger but happened later),
there were IIRC upwards of 40 people in attendance.

Opps! Either I forgot about the 40 that did attend the opening ceremony or I
never heard about it. I remember a guy named Gary, but I had no idea he passed.
I really wish I had heard of it, I would have gone. I archived a bunch of
rec.toy.lego stuff to disc thinking of doing some research concerning the
group. I will search for it in my vast collection of CD's and see if I missed
the loop on this.

My appologies to all those that made it happen. Is this still going on? Are you
meeting yearly on the anniversary date? Or was this a one time gathering?

Todd