 Events / 371
Re: Regianal Conventions was Re: How about a Brickfest West?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 19:31:13 GMT

I agree with Frank. There is more than enough room for multiple events
nationwide at different times. I disagree with the opinion that more
conventions or fests will dilute the attendance or excitement of attending
the grand-daddy event in DC. There are hundreds of regional gaming
conventions across North America and huge conventions, Origins in Columbus,
OH and the grand-daddy of them all Gencon in Milwaukee, WI. Gencon had
25,000 plus attendees last year. I believe the regional Lugs could support
individual conventions and a national convention hosted by WAMALUG at DC. I
pose this question how many people did not get to attend Brickfest opposed
to those who did get to attend the event.

One aspect of multiple regional and a single national event would allow is for
a competitve structure to some of the gaming and non-gaming aspects. Using
BrickWars as an example the regional conventions could have regional
competitions in which the winner and/or alternates could advance to the finals
in DC at Brickfest. This could also be done in the Castle gathering.

Outside of gaming there is the potential to develop competitions for
Mindstorms, Animations, MOC designs, etc. For example, the regionals could be
handed a RobotWars style challenge to design teams. The local teams would
compete to win the right to goto to the finals at the national convention.
There might even be a few open spots at nationals for others. Then at the
national convention the challenge could be adapted or remain the same. The
winning challenger would have bragging rights for a year.

Another idea I had would be to have a film festival for Lego animation. Each
regional convention could send their three best (or so) to the national
convention. Then a select group of judges would select the best animation for
an animation award.

This judging panel could be how the Brickfest organizers hook big names in the
business to come to the national convention. We could have Lego excutives come
to do the judging, or other famous people with an interest in Lego might be
selected.

Just an idea.

Todd