 Events / 362
Re: How about a Brickfest West?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 16:15:45 GMT

It is my humble opinion that "Brickfest" has proved itself to be the
premier AFOL gathering. I've been spouting for the past year that '
"Brickfest 2001" was just around the corner - start making plans today! ' As
being part of BF-2000 staff I knew what BF-2001 would be like. As part of
the BF-2001 staff I know what BF-2002 will be like next year.
If your intention is to have the best time at an AFOL gathering with some
of the best modelers in at least the North American continent, "Brickfest"
is absolutely the one event to attend.
I implore all of you who wish to experience something of this magnitude,
start planning today for "Brickfest 2002."

(*) "Brickfest" in my humble opinion, has become synonymous to me (and
certainly with others) with the event held in the D.C. area. To utilize the
name of "Brickfest" in conjunction with any other event seems, at the very
least improper, and at worst potentially infringing upon the rights of those
who conceived and have implemented 2 events under that name. I urge those
who discuss fests, other than the two Brickfest that have occurred and the
next planned event, will refrain from utilizing Brickfest in such
discussions. This is only a suggestion, but one that seems (to me at least)
right to suggest. (This view is my own, and not endorsed or suggested by
*The Brickfest Committee*)

Rich

I tend to agree with Rich in part but disagree in another part. It was great
that the WAMALUG folks have started something great. I remember a few of us on
rec.toys.lego a few years back suggested a FOL (A missing because of family
orientation) convention of sorts timed with the opening of Legoland California.
It never materialized, unfortunately. No one really wanted to organize it and
the idea never carried the fire it need for a grass roots thing to get started.

The folks at WAMALUG have gotten the fire started though. The question now
becomes is this going to be a region thing or a national thing? If national,
then the title Brickfest should remain associated with a yearly gathering of
AFOL's and CFOL's (child fan of Legos). The title might even become more
associated with the city or region where the event takes place, such as
Brickfest St. Louis or Brickfest Denver.

If the gathering of "Brickfest" remains regional then the name should become
theirs and their alone (i.e. the WAMALUG members) to use for their gathering of
AFOL's. Unfortunately, they probably have not trademarked the name, and there
is probably little they can do to stop other regional gatherings/conventions
from using the name. It is essentially an issue of respect at this point.

I would like to see the convention go national. I would like for it to move
from city to city, and I would like for it keep the name Brickfest. I have been
a part of other organizations that have started as this one has and I have seen
them grow and continue while others have disbanded. What will help Brickfest to
grow is continued support from sponsors like Lego Direct and S@H (the retail
side). As well as the generous support of the George Mason facilities. What
will also help Brickfest to grow is continued improvement upon old ideas and
new ideas develop by others.

WAMALUG did an outstanding job! Doing what they did, with little to no budget,
and leveraging the resources and facilities they had available to them was not
easy to accomplish. A special mentioned should be made of Denise and Christina.
Denise started the idea and organized Brickfest 2000. Christina organized
Brickfest 2001. THANK YOU BOTH!!!!!

The problem is how long will WAMALUG want to continue to sholder the
responsibility of planning, organizing, and convening a Brickfest in the
Washington D.C. Metropolitan area before their members begin back bitting and
hating each other? Clearly a small committee of national organizers should be
formed (of volunteers of course) to begin planning a national conference for
2003. They should use the Brickfest 2002 as a guide and a planning arena for
the next convention.

Three elements I think are crucial to the success of a national effort. First,
avoid the convention environments. What I mean by this is that I have been to
both large and small conventions in large metropolitan areas with large
convention centers and I have been to smaller convnetions held in small to
medium sized cities. The smaller to medium sized cities are less expensive,
appreciate the business, and they fit this group a little better. Most of us
will spend our entire time indoors with the bricks anyway and any major
touristy type environment will distract from the reason of the gathering (of
course for those of us bringing friends and family not interested in Lego they
may need something to do while we are convening).

Second, if at all possible this event should be held on a univeristy campus or
similar environment. I really can't say what type of environment might be
similar (maybe a museum with meeting space), but the technological resources
that were available at GMU for the convention would be prohibitively expensive
at other convention centers. This is of course changing, but in some cities the
access to computer equipment, televisions for showing animations, power for
train set ups, overnight security to prevent LL (lego Loss) would all cost a
great deal of money not to mention the labor union issues that would need to be
dealt with. The only problem with this is that WAMALUG has a member at GMU that
could work this angle. We would need someone at a university or college that
would be willing to approach the powers that be and convince them to open the
doors when the university is not "busy". (As I understand it we have Christina
to thank for the location).

Third, the event worked becuase of the close relationship to Lego. Without
Lego's involvement and close proximity to a Lego Outlet this would not have
been the big draw. Believe me for those that did not attend, the deals at the
outlet are worth going for (right Larry, Ken and Ron). I could see this event
being held in Carlsbad, Minnesota (Mall of America Imagination Center), Enfield
(they make Legos there, right?), Atlanta (outlet #2), or Orlando (Imagination
Center), or anywhere where Lego develops a presence that could do something
special for the convention.

Keep in mind that having a growing and small local body of people in the host
city will be key to pulling this all off. WAMALUG is less than 20 active
members as I understand it. Having at least 5 members that get together on
occassion to do train, brick wars, or some other aspect of Lego (who knows,
maybe a group of Belville cross dressers for example) is essential in working
out the logistics of hosting a national convention. They must also be willing
to work with the organizers of past conventions and the national committee
members and will work diligently to improve and expand upon the idea.

To not meet these aspects I think leaves Brickfest a regional gathering that
the WAMALUG members will enjoy with a few of their close friends and contacts.

This is just my humble opinion though and you might disagree.

Sincerely,

Todd