 Events / 363
362  |  364
Subject:
Brickfest from a lurker's perspective...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 16:51:12 GMT

Where to begin?

Well, I have been lurking here on lugnet for some time now, posting only
once in a great while.  My Job limits my internet access and when I get
home, I am not really in the mood to look at another computer screen.  But
now that I have made some acquaintances that hopefully will turn into
friends, I have an incentive to find ways of maintaining contact!  My wife,
Maelee, who also attended gets all her Lego news through me over dinner or
when we are out and about.  She's not an active builder, more of an admirer,
but perhaps this event will change that.

As far as Brickfest, We didn't know what to really expect.  I had read all
the news that was posted on Lugnet about the previous Brickfest.  I had
checked out all pictures that were available for viewing.  So I thought I
had a good idea about Brickfest ... I am happy to say that my ideas could
not compare to the reality of the event.

It was 3 days of none stop Lego fun.  There was always something going on
and it is a shame that the human race doesn't have the ability to separate
into many beings so that I could have been everywhere at once.  What I did
get to experience has been emblazoned in my memory.  From the gigantic train
display to the ever growing CastleWorld display, from the numerous
seminars/events to the individual conversations that were on going. It was
definitely a great time had by all.

Above all of this however, it was the experience of meeting other Lego
enthusiasts face-to-face that was the highpoint of the event for me.  Since
reading the posts on lugnet, I have become familiar with some of the names
on Lugnet, but it was really great to get to meet the person behind the
name.  To list everyone I met would take to long, so I will just say that it
was a real pleasure to get to know you better.  There are a few people who I
would like to point out that made the 3 days a real special event:

Shiri Dori who introduced Maelee and I to CastleWorld.  Everytime we came
around she always filled us in on what was happening. (yes Shiri, I will be
posting my pictures of Brickfest as well as those of my castle to Brickshelf
in the near future)

Tim Courtney and Don & Robyn Jessiman for sharing their time over dinner for
some fabulous conversation. If Don and Robyn are an example of James'
character then the Lego community truly did lose a shining light.  It was a
true honor to get to meet them and if someone can pass this on to them I
would appreciate it.

The entire gang from Wamalug who helped us get initiated and with all of our
questions!

The crew from Lego who were always open for discussion and sharing ideas.

So overall I would say that it was an enlightening event.  I am sure we all
had the wish of being a fly on the wall so we could watch an event we had
interest in.  Well in a way that wish came true for me at Brickfest.  Not
only did I get to watch, but I was able to participate in an event that I
had great interest in.  So to other lurkers that read this, if you ever get
a chance to attend an event like this, TAKE IT!  If you only walk away with
some first-hand ideas of creations, you will be better off then if you hadn't.

From Maelee's view, she really enjoyed seeing all the possibilities that
exist with Lego that were presented at Brickfest.  She didn't understand
everything, but she left with a better understanding of my "addiction"

So Thanks to everyone who was there and perhaps you will see more of me in
the future

- Jim & Maelee Foulds

Keep building!