 Events / 382
Re: How about a Brickfest West?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 21:36:39 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.events, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.events, Todd Thuma writes:
<snip>
First of all, I'd like to make a couple of disclaimers so that there is no
ambiguity in *my* opinion, and those in WAMALUG and those who were directly
on the "Brickfest" committee. 1) My statements/opinions are my own, and
noone elses. 2) I am not now, nor have I been a member of WAMALUG for the
past 6 months. I do not, nor cannot speak for WAMALUG, though I can
speculate all the live-long day, just as many of you. 3) I was not a member
of the "Brickfest" committee, though I was in attendance not only as an
exhibitor, but as "Brickfest" staff to assist in whatever was
requested/required; as a small example, 3 of my cameras where used for
web-broadcast during the event. 4) Christina made it a point of singling out
the other contributors to "Brickfest" who were not a part of WAMALUG, but
came from many other areas, to include the Jessiman's from Australia (how
much more national/international can you get than that?).

My opinion is this. It would be realy nice if there were *one* fest that is
badged as *the* national fest and it ought to be yearly. That is not to say
that there ought not to be lots of other fests at the regional, statewide,
citywide etc. level, if people want to organize it.

I agree. Other fests would be fine. For some, this would be a great
experience. I do believe too that there should only be one yearly event. I
also think that the dies has been cast, and the product that has the best
properties for flexibility is "Brickfest."

I would be A-OK with the national fest being the WAMALUG run "BrickFest" but
I would also be A-OK with it having a new name and being run by different
orgs (in rotation or cooperation) and held in different areas each year on a
rotational basis. I see Rich's point about WAMALUG having dibs on the name
since they established a special meaning but I also heard Greg say "we are
going to talk about this and see what we think"

BTW, WAMALUG needs to IMMEDIATELY start putting a TM on the end of
BrickFest, since I note it isn't there currently, unless they are OK with
anyone taking the name and doing whatever they want with it, which is the
current sitch since they aren't asserting trademark. (It is their trademark
I strongly feel and they should protect it)

I think that a national fest that employed the services of other LUGs and
locations is still too soon to be realized. 3-5 years from now, this could
be a possiblity. It would take heroic effort full time by many disparate
people to reach the level of quality that the "Brickfest" comittee assured
at "Brickfest 2001." Since I can neither confirm nor deny Trade Mark status
on the name "Brickfest," I will continue to use quotations, as I feel that
only the committee that brought the past event into being have propriety
rights to the name. It is my hope also that efforts have been made, (and
would soon be announced), that TM is in fact in effect. When it comes down
to the brass tacks, I basically think that it is rude to use "Brickfest" out
of context to the 2 events that have actually occured, when noone to my
knowledge has asked permission to use it. Maybe you don't need to, maybe you
do. Just because I *can* take 2 newspapers from a newspaper machine, doesn't
mean that I *should*. If you try to look at it that way, you may see what I
mean.

Having a bunch of fests concurrently is, IMHO, dilutive. Having a fest each
quarter that is that regions "national" fest seems like too many major fests
a year. Not that there is anything wrong with giving it a try but I suspect
attendance will be less.

The technology to have a concurrently run event is still probably way beyond
any group of us that try to attempt it. If you were Bill Gates, hey it might
work. Anything less would be a dilution.

To a certain extent there is a network effect that, like all network
effects, grows as some power of the number of attendees. Hence I favor one
fest that is the one that everyone feels that they ought to try to make if
at all possible...

PS I snipped most of the rest of Todds post but I agree with most of it.
Especially the part about trying to secure a Uni campus if possible to keep
cost down ( but I am willing to pay 50 instead of 10 with no qualms, I got
50 of value from this years experience, easily...)

I'd be willing to pay even a little more. The event made my year. Who can
put a price on that?

Rich

--
Have Fun! C-Ya!

Legoman34

*****
Legoman34 (Richard W. Schamus)... (My views do not necessarily express the
views of my employer...)

BRICKFEST 2002 IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER... START MAKING PLANS TODAY.

Card carrying LUGNET MEMBER: #70
Visit http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/1334
...(the wait is over...)
..."The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself." ...
*****