 Events / 385
Re: How about a Brickfest West?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 22:22:31 GMT

In lugnet.events, Richard W. Schamus writes:
to the brass tacks, I basically think that it is rude to use "Brickfest" out
of context to the 2 events that have actually occured, when noone to my
knowledge has asked permission to use it. Maybe you don't need to, maybe you
do. Just because I *can* take 2 newspapers from a newspaper machine, doesn't
mean that I *should*. If you try to look at it that way, you may see what I
mean.

Do you really have THAT low of an opinion of those of us discussing this
topic. We're theives now? Come on, Richard.

No one has announced 'Brickfest: The West Coast Edition That Is Only Here To
Screw WAMALUG Out Of Their Event And Trademark'.

I think we all appreciated just HOW MUCH you enjoyed yourself at Brickfest
last week. A majority of folks who would have LOVED to have been there with
you, weren't able to be. Therefore, we are discussing the possibility of
holding our own 'Brickfest-style' event, at a time and place that makes more
sense for US. No more. No less. Not to damage your happy memories. Not to
infringe on DC's trademark. Not to exclude you.

It seems that many of the posts I have seen from people here have had more
to do with the sour grapes of not being able to attend multiple events if
they are run concurrently. TOUGH! *I* can't attend multiple events. I can't
afford it. I can't travel very far with my young children. What right does
anyone have to begrudge ME the right to try to arrange and hold an event
closer to me? NONE. PERIOD.

If I put the time and the work into an event, and I decide to hold it at the
exact same time as the DC event to compete with them, TOUGH! But see, as a
fellow AFOL and friend to these folks, I wouldn't do that. I would entertain
the notion of ADDING VALUE to the DC event by making it a bi-coastal event,
running seminars and events via video conference and the like, but that
would only work if the DC folks WANTED it  to, isn't that right? I happen to
live within a stones throw of LEGOLAND, and have contacts there. The event I
am capable of arranging would be near an exciting LEGO Mecca...GOOD FOR ME
(and the others around there)! Tough on others? Sure. Can't be helped.
Geography will abide, and folks live where they choose to.

Bottom line: I've begun the planning stages of a West Coast event via
e-mail, and those plans will remain with the organizers until any official
announcements are decided upon. I am currently looking for volunteers to aid
in planning and durig the event. If you are someone who would be willing to
help with ANY part of the event, please e-mail me. I have stepped up to the
plate here. Any further debate of the issues is, of course, your right to
participate in. But I will not put much creadence in any debate/discussion
by anyone not willing to also put their time and effort where their mouths are.

I look forward to announcing an event as soon as I can.

Matt

(Not to all readers: Yes, some of this was typed while I was still bent a
bit out of shape, but I will stand behind my thoughts here. Just take the
parts where YOU PERSONALLY might be offended with a grain of salt. Thanks.)