 Events / 350
Re: How about a Brickfest West?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 10:14:11 GMT

Mark Sandlin wrote:

in article GGLICz.GA1@lugnet.com, tom wrote:

<snip>

A Seattle fest would attract people from Oregon, Washington, Canada, and
some of the other Northwestern states. Seattle is about 3.5 hours north of
Portland, and 2 hours south of Vancouver, BC.

And a S. Cal. event would attract people from all over Cali, Arizona,
Nevada, and even Mexico, maybe even Texas!

Really? Maybe it's a silly assumption to make, but I don't see any LUGs in
Nevada, Arizona, or Mexico.

My point was that we have SEALUG, VicLUG, VLC, NALUG, and PNLTC all within a
reasonable proximity to Seattle. Where there are LUGs, there are AFOLs.

But AFOLs do not REQUIRE LUGs.  You make it sound like LUGs are a requirement for a
Fest.  They're not.  They're helpful, they increase the chance of attendees, but
they're not required.

And you shouldn't have mentioned PNLTC with your complaining about travel times -
they're going to be in LLC in a couple of weeks (I didn't realize this, and now I
need to take some time off and drive down there!).  If they can travel to LLC NOW,
why not for a Fest?  (Yes, they most likely are getting travel costs paid, or LD is
shipping their stuff, or something, but if we had a Fest, they could likely arrange
the same thing.

Picture a huge tent like they had at Kidvention, just for a Fest.  At the same time,
the trains could be on the Model Shop roof.  Let Fest'ers into the park an hour
early and and hour late (if LD could swing that), so they could look around without
seriously impacting their Fest participation.

And as far as LL taking away time form festing, why not just have a day to
be spent at LL, you can rent space from them, if it is in the winter time
there could be an after hours get together, just tink how cool that would
be, having LL just for us! Or, if it was in the summer time, LL is open
late, more than enough time to fest in the am and explore LL in the
afternoon/night. Miniland is amazing when its all lit up like a real city.

Yeah, it's pretty neat. I think I'll defer to Frank's report on what happens
to your attendance when there's a big LEGO related activity outside your
'fest happenings:

http://news.lugnet.com/events/?n=339

And I do like the idea of a rotating fest, this would solve this problem
pretty much, but will they be willing to give it up back east for a few years?

Nope. I can say that with a fairly high degree of certainty.

IMO, this isn't about taking Brickfest from the East Coast... it's about
giving us West Coast folks a fest that's a bit more local. Speaking for
myself, I don't intend to compete with Brickfest, only to parallel it.

In any case, I'll try to attend a 'fest, wherever it is decided we hold it.

Ditto.  I'll drive up to Canada if I have to, but I'm still going to argue HARD for
LLC - I love the area down there, and would take a few extra days off to hit several
other parks in the area.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/