 Events / 305
Re: How about a Brickfest West?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 05:07:24 GMT

In lugnet.events, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Preface: I'd love to see more events in more places, if doing so can be done
so as not to dilute the wonderful thing that I just got done experiencing.

In lugnet.events, Matthew Gerber writes:

Yeah...that's kinda' what I figured. Two events COULD be held
concurrently...that MIGHT be cool (or could hurt either ones attendance..I
dunno'...)

I strongly oppose concurrence. You're guaranteeing that you'll have two
small, struggling events (with the "names" of the hobby having to pick and
choose which to attend) rather than one. This is a terminally bad idea, IMHO
and I answered my survey that way. Keep them at least a month apart (even
two successive weekends is a bad idea) so people have time to recover their
mundane life (pay bills and suchlike) before they go to the next one.

That's why the primary idea is quarterly events. In fact, between your home
area and Florida, I see those as the other primary targets for other events.
I suppose you've already given this some thought?

-I'd want to set up a media/computer lab at the event...we could have
computers donated for the event, allowing internet access for e-mail,
LUGNET, etc., and a place for folks to demo/use LCAD programs.

Think bigger. At GMU EVERY room had ethernet, and most had hubs, so a lot of
stuff was possible. People used their PCs in their presentations (I did for
mine, and one was used for LCAD, and one was used for the animations, etc.
etc.) and we were able to do things like update LUGNET in real time FROM
presentation rooms. (I apologise that I didn't realise till after Brad's
talk started that I ought to be gathering questions from the rest of the
community and getting them answered)

Chances are that any other event won't be lucky enough to garner the use of
a school with pre-wired services. If we end up in a hotel or on a
fairground, we'll have to supply our own...you all were just EXTREMELY
lucky/fortunate.

-I would love to see an animated LEGO movie made DURING the event, over the
course of days! So cool!

This ensures that whoever is making it doesn't get to participate in any of
the rest of the con, unfortunately. (Frank had the same complaint about
running Pirate game, it chewed up his chance to do other stuff)...

Understood...but I'm not alking about an epic here...and I was hoping that
many hands might take a shot at helping, easing the overall load...I guess
that's why I'd be looking for extended/24 hour times...who needs sleep when
you have caffene? I don't remember sleeping more than a couple of hours at a
pop at the last few shows I attended/ran.

Matt