 Events / 321
Re: How about a Brickfest West?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 19:09:32 GMT

In lugnet.events, Kevin Wilson writes:
Well, I've been looking at the pics of Friday's Brickfest activities on
Brickshelf, and checking out the webcams, and I'm jealous! I wanna go too!

How about a Brickfest Northwest? Anyone in Seattle up for organising
something like this? I don't think there are enough of us in Vancouver to
pull it off yet.

Just a few thoughts on some of the various ideas being played with--

Having just come from Brickfest, I'd have to say that I'd definitely go
again. It was well worth it, even if it did take a combined 20 hours in the
car to get there and back.

However, I find myself wondering whether I'd even bother going if the events
were more frequent and closer to me. I guess what I mean is that if we had
one here in Boston every year, and also one in DC, Carlsbad, Seattle,
Detroit, & wherever else, I'd be more likely to just not bother going to the
other events, since I could just wait to go to our own. Having events like
Brikfest really just seems (to me) like a grandiose event that would be
trivialized if it were held on a monthly/quarterly basis...

The main reason (I think) is that the best part of the entire event was the
people. I can see cool MOC's online anyday, and I can see other people's
creations in my own area. I can hear the "inside scoop" from TLC online--
but being there in person and MEETING Brad was the cool part, just like
meeting the people I see daily on Lugnet. And I'd be worried that making
such an event so common would encourage people to stay where they were and
not "get out and meet". I'd *love* to go out and meet all you west-coasters.
But I can't help but feel that if I had another Brickfest to attend 20
minutes away, I just wouldn't bother going out that way.

I think personally, I'm for having an annual or bi-annual Brickfest, which
"travels around" to various cities, states, and even countries (if there's
enough intrest-- certainly Canada wouldn't be as big a deal as Australia,
for example), rather like the olympics...

Another reason I think is just for "sponsorship". The more often we have
"Brickfests", the less likely each one will be to have anything special and
"official" from Lego. I don't know if Brad wants to fly out 4 or more times
a year to do Q&A etc. And likewise, I don't know how prone TLC would be to
supplying all the little "prizes" and doing special favors like using the
official Logo, and getting the use of K8's.

The other thought I had was that perhaps Carlsbad isn't such a good idea for
such an event. It's not that I don't want to see Legoland, CA-- I do! It's
just that I was busy from 9AM to 12AM (midnight) each day doing Brickfest
events. If we had been in Carlsbad, I never would've had time to go visit
the partk! Although I will say that if it were more of a "week-ish" long
event people could go in "groups" during the week and just have the
"official events" closer to the weekend. I dunno. Just a thought.

At any rate, if a Brickfest were scheduled for this fall, there'd be almost
no way I'd go-- but I'd want to. Winter 2002? Maybe. Next spring or summer?
Definitely. I think that's also another issue for those of us without
money-- I know some of us need to scrounge up the cash necessary for such an
endeavor, as well as the time. And having to pick one major event out of
many would be all the more difficult-- it'd be tough or impossible to go to
all of them. But if it's just ONE, or maybe two, the likelihood that they
went to an event they'd really enjoy goes up by a lot.

So without rambling any more, I guess I'll just say I don't want Brickfest
trivialized to a mundane occurance-- but I WOULD like to see it travel to
other venues to give everyone a chance to enjoy the wonder that is/was/will
be Brickfest.

DaveE