 Events / 296
Re: How about a Brickfest West?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.org.us.lugola
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2001 22:09:14 GMT

In lugnet.events, Tony Hafner writes:
Date: Late November-December-the opposite of BrickFest for those with the
resources to do both coasts-possibly January, about the same diff'...we
COULD still pull one off THIS year...

Everyone is always plenty busy at the end of the year.  I say aim for
January, so that everyone has time to open their new LEGO before coming.

Carlsbad makes the most sense, I mean Legoland IS there, and that is what
will be bringing us together - Lego - right? I understand the point about
making it more central, but whats the point of that? Having it at LL is not
that far from the other places you brought up (ok, SF is kinda far) but
still, Carlsbad makes perfect sense.

Carlsbad seems kind of backwards- after all, there is a big Lego event there
every day.  What's the point?  And it is about as non-central as it gets.

I agree it is non-central, but like you said, there is a big Lego event
there every day, that is what makes it a great location. I know there were
alot of Lugnetters out in Carlsbad not to long ago, but I think there is
more than enough locals and many people that would travel out there to make
it worthwhile. I would assume AFOL's would want to go to LL, it is a great
place. And the fact you would be able to piggyback it on a brickfest, well
that just doubles the value. (in my humble opinion though)

I've done event management, and wouldn't mind organizing the overall event
(yes...that's me volunteering...don't tell my wife!). If it's way out of my
area, I'll also help remotely.

Well then, since you have been the only one to step up to the plate (so far)
Then I would think you have a heavy vote as to its location :)

I can't argue this... except to point out that the person who brought up
this thread lives, I believe, at least 1300 miles away from there.

Go central.  Seattle?  Portland?  San Francisco?  It's not like I'd attend
the latter, but it still makes more sense to me than Carlsbad.

Of your 'central' choices, only SF is central, but i would assume that you
also have to consider outside Lego activities, and there is only one place
in the USA that really has outside Lego activities. I am not putting any
other city down, but I think Lego fans would have more fun at LL than in the
Market street pier (is that the name of it)...

But I guess there is a point in the fact that the east coast location is not
'central' but it is in an area of high population, just like Southern
California.

Tom

--
Tony Hafner