 Events / 339
Re: How about a Brickfest West?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 23:55:08 GMT

Mark Sandlin wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I would love to come to LLC again, but I just think your
above claim needs a bit of clarification. I don't think having LLC nearby
will guarantee you a large attendance, in fact, it might rob you of some
attendees who go to the park instead of attending the 'fest.

After what I spent at the outlet last year at Brickfest, some people may
be shocked to hear the following... (if you're faint of heart, please
skip...)

Sunday afternoon I commented to Stephen Roberts that in one way it was a
shame Brickfest was held in D.C. so close to the outlet because it took
people away from the con to go shopping. Sunday was shot for much
festing since many people didn't get back from shopping until after 1 PM
by which time most of those with long travels had left or were making
final rounds before leaving (the crowd was so thin at the final
ceremonies that they finally announced that anyone who HADN'T won a door
prize should come down and get one, there was still a big stack of
watches left [of course everyone got a watch in their registration
packet], and I think there were one or two other things left [oh yea,
one was a little book bag]).

If a fest were to be held near LLC, you would basically have to consign
most of one day to people going to LLC (when we went out this spring,
even though I voiced a willingness to head over to the LUGOLA meeting
before seeing everything, we still saw most everything and didn't get to
the LUGOLA meeting until 4 or 5 or something like that [by which time
some of the locals were starting to leave]).

So while a fest in or near Carlsbad would draw more folks due to LLC,
all of those additional folks will be spending the better part of a day
at LLC. I suspect that even folks who had already been once or twice
would still end up spending the better part of a day there (I certainly
would go again, and I'd likely wind up walking around with a small group
which included folks who had never been and would therefore want to
spend the whole day there, which would cause me to want to stay also [to
spend more time with them, to show them the best sights, and to make
them not feel pressured to leave - ask Larry whose original intent had
been to leave LLC by noon]).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com