 Events / 335
Re: How about a Brickfest West?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 22:45:13 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.events, David Eaton writes:

<snip>

However, I find myself wondering whether I'd even bother going if the events
were more frequent and closer to me

<snip>

I snipped most, left this one sentence, kinda sums up nicely... I am coming
around to this viewpoint. Have one fest a year so *everyone* is incented to
come. Rotate it around geographically? Perhaps. Quarterly fests, concurrent
fests, all seem dilutive.

As someone fairly involved in two other activities which have
gatherings, I have to disagree. There are definitely people who will go
to as many events as possible. On the other hand, both of these groups
do have a weeklong annual convention in the summer which moves around
the country (and Canada for one of them) and aims to attract as many
folks from all over as possible. The more frequent, weekend events tend
to mostly draw folks from the local region (most folks not driving more
than 5 hrs), though I have flown to Boston for a weekend event and folks
have flown into other events (actually, this spring a friend flew in
from California to our Virginia event).

Now that Brickfest has been hosted twice by WAMALUG, I would have to say
that unless they suggest it become a roving event that a roving event be
planned with some sensitivity to WAMALUG continuing to hold Brickfest in
June/July in the D.C. area.

I also strongly suspect that an event won't be a serious nationwide draw
until it becomes at least a 4 day event. It's just not worth spending
two days travelling for two days of festing for most people.

I forgot to say that the consituencies of the other two groups may not
be that much larger than the number of AFOLs. Does anyone have a good
guess as to the real number of AFOLs? The two activities are caving
(which can have an astounding [to me] 25% of it's membership attend the
annual convention, 2500 out of 10000 or so, the national organization
also probably has better than 50% of the serious cavers as members), and
Unitarian Universalist Young Adults (not sure of the numbers here but
the denomination only claims 100k members so people between the ages of
18 and 35 [our definition of a young adult - who are into the "con"
thing - who are also way underrepresented in congregations] probably
number less than 10k (the annual national week long event now attracts
about 150 folks, and up til a couple years ago worked quite well with
about 50 folks attending).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com