 Events / 399
Re: How about a Brickfest West?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 14:46:54 GMT

In lugnet.events, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.events, David Eaton writes:

However, I find myself wondering whether I'd even bother going if the events
were more frequent and closer to me

I snipped most, left this one sentence, kinda sums up nicely... I am coming
around to this viewpoint. Have one fest a year so *everyone* is incented to
come. Rotate it around geographically? Perhaps. Quarterly fests, concurrent
fests, all seem dilutive.

Agree and disagree.  You are right, if there were more fests in different
areas, many people would be more likely to go local/regional than to go
national.  Some would still go to a 'national' fest.

But I disagree, to the extent that regional fests and this 'dilution' would
be a bad thing overall. It would get more people to large 'fests, and that's
a good thing.

Look at the BrickFest map <http://www.brickfest.com/peoplemap2001.html>.
It's outdated/inaccurate, but it does show the extremely sharp inverse
relation between the attendance rate and the distance traveled.  So having a
West Coast 'national fest' would actually have very little overlap with
BrickFest -- only a few people would be cross-incentivized.  And many of
those would be likely to go to both anyway.  And the net positive is that
many more people would show up at the West Coast 'fest, who didn't go to
BrickFest anyway.

Also, about rotating locations for the fests: don't do it.  Having BrickFest
in the same area every year, will help grow BrickFest and Wamalug, because
it will attract and hold people from year to year.  With rotation, you'll
lose all the advantage gained from repetition; it will be like a first-time
event in each location.

Steve