 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 292
  Get-together last Sunday

Well, I had to take off early, but when I left, track layouts were being tossed about... Anything conclusive come out of that? James (24 years ago, 24-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Get-together last Sunday

(...) I think so - Michel and I had come up with the largest layout possible with the existing tables (based on the blocks he was using as substitutes) I was going to make up a plan, but I'm not sure how many tables of each size he has for sure... (...) (24 years ago, 24-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Get-together last Sunday

(...) I came up with a design that's based on what we were talking about when I left (mountain in the corner). It's basically a variant of Michel's layout that I started toying with. The grey plates are (roughly) where a mountain might sit. :) (URL) (24 years ago, 24-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Get-together last Sunday

(...) (URL) a recurve inserted to prevent the see-thru tunnel effect. James (24 years ago, 24-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Get-together last Sunday

James, in short back to the drawing board! Mountain on 30.5x61 inch table, in the corner, with two 9V tracks at ground level. Not sure if only 1 or two loops of 12V above this, will depend on experimentation. If John is able, a rackrailway a la (...) (24 years ago, 24-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Get-together last Sunday

(...) OK - I did up one based on what I think the table layout was... (URL) I didn't know how to indicate the mountain, but the top right corner (all 61" x 61" of it) is mountain. The mountain has multiple peaks and valleys, so that the monorail (...) (24 years ago, 24-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Latest Larger Layout (was Re: Get-together last Sunday)

(...) Alright, here it is with some "terrain" filled in. (URL) lower right is the town, the upper left is a monorail station. Here's a closeup of the mountain and switching yard. (URL) notice that the mountain has three parallel tracks entering from (...) (24 years ago, 25-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

Hello Steve, It is looking promising, not sure about the practicality of such a large mountain! The other major problem, is that as currently drawn, it takes one more small 30.5x30.5 table than I currently have! I only have the equivalent of 18 (...) (24 years ago, 25-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Get-together last Sunday

(...) <snip> Yikes! Well, I have an inherent dislike of starting over, so I played around with the things I was doing yesterday, keeping those criteria in mind, and came up with this: (URL) think it qualifies for most of those. :) Only problem - it (...) (24 years ago, 25-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Layout with large yard (was Re: Get-together last Sunday)

James Brown wrote in message ... (...) IMO, the one you made yesterday was great, but this is even better. It met the specs, including a large realistic yard, the mountain in an inside corner, and the cross-over. Also, it looks less crowded than (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout (was Re: Get-together last Sunday)

SRC wrote in message ... (...) a table. Interesting... However, it lacks a crossover for the inner loop. This makes the inner loop nearly twice as long regardless of the layout. If you don't know what I'm referring to, check out the layout James (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout (was Re: Get-together last Sunday)

(...) The tables are all there, you just have to imagine them while following the outline, since putting the green plates tends to hide other aspects (like buildings and mountains). :-) Chris wrote: (...) Well, by my count, James' layout Ver.2 uses (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

(...) That's what I was wondering. I notice James and Chris were silent about being able to make a 60" x 60" mountain with four tunnels, one of them with a spiral chamber, and all of them curved. 8-) With enough time and bricks it would be "doable", (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

OK - Here's an update using 7 large and 7 small. (URL) has all the things we're after, plus it has a feature that till now we have been missing - a section that reverses the trains! The trains stop in front of the station, so that segment switching (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

(...) Looks good. The only problem I see is that it short-circuits the loop. (And I'm still being silent about a 61x61 mountain with 4 tunnels & a spiral) :) James James Brown's Parts Sale: (URL) parts, averaging $0.10 per piece. (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

(...) Blast! You're right - I missed the second inversion. I guess there's only one solution... (URL) guess I can't saddle you with a 61"x61" mountain and not be willing to up the ante on my own bridge by making it triple instead of double. Part of (...) (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout (was Re: Get-together last Sunday)

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Steve Chapple writes: <snip> (...) <snip> Wha? Who? Have I missed something? James (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

(...) Ok. I can't do the giant mountain. ;] Well... I probably could, but I'm dubious about transportation issues and modularity and access. 61 inches across won't fit in a van, or through a door, so it has to come apart at least once, which makes (...) (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

James Brown wrote in message ... (...) (URL) the obvious to reply) (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout (was Re: Get-together last Sunday)

Whoa. Hold on a minute. I'm assuming that I'm 'Adam in Calgary' right? Did I just get volunteered for something? I had replied on the mailing list ( I think ) that I didn't want to commit to anything, as I can't make plans one week ahead, never mind (...) (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

(...) No comment on the mountain or bridge! I like this design, although I share concerns about both the mountain and the bridge. Some suggestions for it, however: - have the big siding on the outer loop (at the bottom) join back on to the main line (...) (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout (was Re: Get-together last Sunday)

Adam Murtha wrote in message ... (...) Not by me. Maybe Steve was referring to another Adam... (...) Although I would like to go, I also can't make any guarantees, as I know I'll be busy during the time of the next show. Nevertheless, you would be (...) (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

(...) to (...) Hear Hear! Well said. The mountain in the above linked image is way too ambitious. Something smaller, positioned toward the inside of the table sloping down and outward, would be much more appropriate. One, maybe two tunneled tracks, (...) (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

(...) How would you have tunneled tracks *and* a table-level loop? They would be trying to occupy the same space. A raised loop works. Or are you suggesting the tables the mountain is on be lowered the required 11 bricks (14?), so that "table level" (...) (24 years ago, 27-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout (was Re: Get-together last Sunday)

(...) Don't panic. :-) I just included you as one who would like to help but can't commit to being there for sure. (John and Kevin are in a similar situation.) SRC (24 years ago, 28-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

Hello Guys, Please NO more layouts with 61x61 mountains. James, Kevin, and I are against the idea. Steve is for it. Chris' idea of two interconnected mountains could be explored another year if the first mountain works out. After all we are (...) (24 years ago, 29-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

(...) Chill guys - I'm just throwing out ideas. :-) I don't remember any vote, but whatever amount of monorail is the concensus is fine by me. I don't think we have to vote on anything/everything. We're not that formal of a club are we? (...) Here's (...) (24 years ago, 31-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

SRC wrote in message ... (...) I like this one better than the previous iteration. A smaller mountain gives us more room for structures. Another plus is that it has a crossover on the inner loop. The monorail supports at the corners of the layout (...) (24 years ago, 31-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

(...) Looks good to me. Nice long sidings for storing trains, and there is room to add more small ones in conjunction with buildings. The track in front of the station is a bit short - room for two of the longer passenger cars and the engine is all, (...) (24 years ago, 31-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

Thanks very much Steve, it is a very nice layout. Almost makes me want to make more tables! How about moving the station to face the outer loop in the bottom right, allowing maybe four tracks, one from each full length loop, and one siding from each (...) (24 years ago, 31-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

(...) Cool. Sounds like everyone is more-or-less happy with this layout, so it seems like a good base to work off. Could you upload the .tdl when you get a chance? Michel isn't the only one who wants to play with it. :) About the only nit I can (...) (24 years ago, 31-Oct-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

(...) Everybody wants to move the station. :-) I understand what Chris meant, but Michel - I don't see how there's room for what you've described. I made a "scary" (URL) revision for those who complain that there's never enough room in the switching (...) (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

(...) Can you fit more sidings in somehow? Then Michel will have room for all of his rolling stock. <ducks behind cover!> (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

(...) <snip> (...) I can pretty much guarantee that I'll be able to do a set of tables (1 large, 1 small). Even if I can't, we'll have plenty of warning to change the layout. (...) I moved the station. :) And changed the monorail loop a bit. I also (...) (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

(...) I had tried that at first, but didn't want to get that close to the edge, especially with the bridge and mountain on the opposite side... SRC (24 years ago, 2-Nov-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

(...) Good point. That extra loop of track takes away our wiggle room. 'Kay. Consider it toasted in all future messing around - even if I forget. :) James (24 years ago, 2-Nov-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

James Brown wrote in message ... (...) (URL) essential? Nope...it's just an idea. We would have to be careful with placing rolling stock on it, of course. :-] -- John (remove the obvious to reply) (24 years ago, 2-Nov-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

(...) Thanks for the reminder - I forgot to put back the second cross-track. (There were three at one point with the "double-size" mountain and a fourth track entering from the south with a switch inside the mountain.) Here's the screen shot of the (...) (24 years ago, 3-Nov-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

I am not sure you have enough sidings, did you really try your best?! I was catching up on NALUG posts from my fathers computer last night, my wife was watching, we both had a good laugh at the halloween prank! Those with track designer may want to (...) (24 years ago, 3-Nov-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

(...) Interesting... (URL) loop in the bottom left looks like it's been squished or something. :-) Why did you move the entire upper section down - to make more available "slope-space" for the mountain facing outwards? It means the monorail can't (...) (24 years ago, 7-Nov-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

(...) My main concern with this layout is the lack of storage space for trains. The passenger sidings barely have room for an engine and two cars. The longer trains we ran at the previous show would have to be broken up in order to fit anywhere. I'd (...) (24 years ago, 7-Nov-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

(...) <snip> (...) Experience? Didn't you just get your first train a week ago? 8-) (...) Depending on where you attached the power it would be a dead section, but I don't think it's inherently flawed. (Unlike the earlier version I made with the (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Chris Gray writes: ...More sidings! and Michel responds with a new layout and commentary... (URL) didn't like the funny curve in the bottom left either. I didn't take time to fit in a monorail switch. I think this version has (...) (24 years ago, 8-Nov-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

Bringing the monorail down to earth, so to speak, (One pun deserves another!) minimizes the chance we will hit the track when reaching over for something. Please feel free to find a better way to fit a wye! I thought that little isolated section (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

Chris, once your train tracks start to extend outside your spare room, you will start to place several power cables throughout the layout, to minimize dead spots behind switches, and to maintain fairly even power levels. I thought the connecting (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

(...) My concern isn't shorts - I mentally checked that myself. My concern is that there will be power to that section more often than one might want. It being a connector between two separately powered loops is what makes it special. Although, (...) (24 years ago, 9-Nov-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

  Re: Latest Larger Layout

Hello James, I agree that building space is a bit scarce, if Chris agrees, we could always cut out some sidings. I'll let you two fight it out! Many of the road plates are just there for show, you could replace them with buildings. Another idea is (...) (24 years ago, 10-Nov-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  SuperTrain 2001 (was Re: Latest Larger Layout)

Well I heard back from the main guy organizing SuperTrain 2001 and from Darryl at the same time. It turns out Darryl doesn't actually live in Calgary like we/I thought, but 2.5 hours south. (Lethbridge?) Hence he can't commit to attending either, (...) (24 years ago, 11-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

(...) Well the deadline (to commit) is tomorrow, and with it being the largest model train show in Canada, if felt strongly enough that there should be a LEGO presence there that I have committed myself to attending and putting on a display on my (...) (24 years ago, 14-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

(...) Grr. Well, the work-drive-setup-dis...drive-work cycle doesn't appeal to me, not with only 1 or 2 other people to share the load, but.... I'm in. Grr. No guarantees about not going postal after the show, though. I'll take the van down, which (...) (24 years ago, 14-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

(...) Don't feel obligated - and don't do it unless you want to. LEGO is our hobby - not a work commitment. I'm willing to handle it by myself. (...) Actually the tables wouldn't be required, as they have them there for only $8 each. They require (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

(...) Just to clarify, I'm not doing this because Steve is a bricksmith, but because I think that supporting _all_ LTC's is important. PNLTC has stuff of mine on loan (a rail mobile gravitron, and a boxcar), and I loaned them the track in the (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

(...) Sure. I just finished putting away all the loose pieces from our earlier parting-out, and from recent purchases. I'm finally using the six sets of drawers I've got! I'll be out of town over the holidays, but should be back on the 29th, and (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

(...) Nah, I do want to do it - I just know what I'm getting into. ;) (...) We might as well use the tables we've got, rather than renting tables down there. Also, if they use generic banquet tables, which 103% of rental places do, there's no real (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

(...) Cool & understood. I'm certainly not going to complain. ;) In the same vein, some people expressed interest in having a James Jessiman Memorial Park on their layout - I've still got the file I used to make the sign, and I'm quite happy to send (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

(...) Heh. I just finished taking apart the Monsterpiece, and I need more storage before I can put it away. Guess I'm going to have to buy more 1200 piece tubs to resolve the problem. <grin> The week right around new year's is pretty busy for us, my (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

(...) It's not like you don't have a few grey plates to compensate with. :-) (...) The tables are 2'x8', so $40 would give us a good chuck more space than we have with the existing tables. The cost shouldn't be an issue due to the "gate-share" (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

(...) I think the VIA train would be popular - hopefully the Christmas holidays will give James the time he needs to finish it in time for it's "world debut". He also has a LOT of containers and container cars. I'd like to focus a good chunk on the (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

(...) I was just talking to the chairman of Supertrain2001 by phone, and I'm thinking that perhaps it would be best to use both the existing tables AND some rentals. With James Powell's large contribution, we have enough track and trains to make a (...) (24 years ago, 15-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

Sorry I am so late in replying to this thread. We just came back from California, and yes, Legoland is neat. I was disappointed by the selection of Lego in their store. No large technic sets, only train sets were the track, the station and loading (...) (24 years ago, 16-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

(...) I can include some (2 or 3) controllers, without the 9V wall wart. I have 2 110 ones which I am using the plugins for Mindstorms, and a Euro one (no different, same wall wart connection). LMK if you want 1 or 2 of them thrown in...I find them (...) (24 years ago, 16-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

(...) Clear so far. A work crush might have to take precedence. Nothing on the horizon so far (at least that I know of). We just had our company xmas party tonight - rented the water park at WEM. I'm all water-slided out! (24 years ago, 16-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

(...) Wall wart? Is that your pet name for the 9V transformer? :-) (...) AFAIK I'm the electronics guy - I actually should be doing some soldering right now instead of typing this. I could modify any excess controllers for slower speed. SRC (24 years ago, 19-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

(...) As far as I'm familiar with, "Wall Wart" is pretty universal to the little humming boxes that get plugged into sockets on x-mas morning all over the place. On other fronts, I would highly sttongly advise against using a resistor. Too much (...) (24 years ago, 19-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Michel Magnan writes: <snip> (...) I've got a staple gun - just pliers for removal though. ;-) (...) We've got more time available, (they let us in at 15:00) having the tables ready and waiting should help a lot, and I'm (...) (24 years ago, 19-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

(...) Is that a yes? :-) (That small a transformer shouldn't "hum") (...) Good advice - I will make sure to use the best method, keeping in mind that safety (for the short LEGOmaniacs) is the most important factor. SRC (24 years ago, 20-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

Steve, I need to know what you want me to bring to Edmonton for the Calgary show. So far I will bring the 1. Plastic tablecloths for skirting, but not the stappler or pliers. 2. Two transformers, with wall adapters, to be speed limited with the (...) (24 years ago, 20-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

(...) Given the size and weight and hassle of the tables, my plan was to follow the KISS rule and just use rented tables from Calgary. An extension of that is that your grain tower would be a static model only. Plastic tablecloths - if you can pick (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

(...) I have a bunch of track that can be borrowed (sniff - all my brand new track!). Nowhere near as much as Michel, but its already in the city. I've got essentially 4 ovals and 2 of the big track expansion packs. Unfortunately, I don't have (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

(...) <snip list of stuff> (...) Call me paranoid, but I'd like to have the tables available, even if we do decide to go with the rented tables - Anyone remember what the tables were like at the food vendors for GETS? I wouldn't want to trust my (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

(...) Just as a note, we can only rely on two people all weekend to keep an eye on this layout, and interact with the people outside. If the layout is much bigger than our GETS show was, you and I aren't going to be able to keep an eye on (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

(...) I'll confirm that the tables are sturdy and solid, but if there's enough room, I suppose it couldn't hurt to bring the tables along. I'd just rather not put hassle on Michel and especially his father for no reason other than "they might be (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

(...) Heh. I'm the kind of guy with enough integrity to stand behind my paranoia. I'll quite happily go out to St. Paul and pick up the tables. Hop, skip & a jump, really. :) (...) I'll take a look at which bucket it is tonight, and post a piece (...) (24 years ago, 22-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

(...) Unless some other Zellers has a better stock of these, it's not going to happen. Sherwood Park Zellers had 1 bucket left, as opposed to the 2 shelves + pallet in the aisle that was there a few weeks ago. For the archives, the set is 4285, has (...) (24 years ago, 22-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

(...) I hope so too...here is the link, the photos are a bit cruddy-I might try again, but it is kind of hard to get the entire train in a single frame. (URL) Geocities is frustrating the heck out of me!) James (24 years ago, 24-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

About the tables, James, please don't make a trip to St Paul just to get them. I WILL get them to Edmonton. My grandfather just died, we will be going to Edmonton tomorrow, I'll throw a few of the tables in the van. When my parents come to St Paul (...) (24 years ago, 27-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

(...) I believe I speak for the lot of us when offering condolences. (...) Right now that depends where you go.. North of downtown it's running about 61.9/litre (and I'm certain I saw one higher but can't remember by how much), but not far from my (...) (24 years ago, 27-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

(...) Yes - The tables don't matter - Family does. I checked with SuperTrain about the tables - I really don't think we'll have a use for "our" tables. Barry said he's used them himself for his layouts and the rental company has been very good with (...) (24 years ago, 28-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Michel Magnan writes: <snip> (...) Things are falling into place nicely for the kid's play area at SuperTrain2001. If I haven't told you already, it is the largest train show in Canada, and in the top ten for North America. (...) (23 years ago, 28-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there

(...) Ok. All things being equal, I'd still like to have them available. (...) Hmm. You've never owned a van, have you Steve? :) Trust me, space going down is *not* an issue. (...) Did anyone notice if the SW buckets are among the things on sale at (...) (23 years ago, 29-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Show prep on Jan 13 (was Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there)

(...) Cool! This is rockin' news. That frees up some of the GETS money to deal with other costs. (...) Hmm. Is it a surfaced hardboard? I'm wondering if we should get an already surfaced material, or just paint the heck out of plain wood... I guess (...) (23 years ago, 29-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Show prep on Jan 13 (was Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there)

(...) Yes - I was thinking it could go towards the poles and rope and table cloths and concrete? plaster?!? ;-) and if any was left, towards the actual buckets (for the bases) themselves. Hopefully we can find 12 or 16 red basic buckets on sale in (...) (23 years ago, 29-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Show prep on Jan 13 (was Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there)

(...) <snip> (...) I just realized that instead of clamps, we could use 100' of duct tape per table. More labor intensive to setup, but safer and stronger. SRC StRuCtures (23 years ago, 29-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Show prep on Jan 13 (was Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there)

For the rope barriers I used 1 1/4 inch rigid PVC conduit, it is used for built in vaccuums. One end is female, they are 10 feet long. I used grey, because the white ones in St Paul were so old and dirty they were almost grey! White would be much (...) (23 years ago, 30-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Show prep on Jan 13 (was Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there)

As far as track, I have 7 pair of switches, 2 of the crossovers and atleast (but not a lot more than) 190 curves and 150 straights. If you aren't going to motorize the play area, do you want me to bring some of our Duplo trains and track? They used (...) (23 years ago, 30-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

Michel Magnan wrote in message ... (...) 12 seemed just enough for the last layout. For future layouts, I'd say we'd need somewhere between 16-24. (...) Yes, it was a bit short, but if you have one rope and make it taller, then small folks will (...) (23 years ago, 30-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Show prep on Jan 13 (was Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there)

(...) OK - I expect to use use all the straights - Firmer numbers forthcoming. (...) If you don't mind it being left "un-attended" in the play area, sure. TLC will probably be sending some Duplo train stuff, but we certainly can never have too much. (...) (23 years ago, 31-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Show prep on Jan 13 (was Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there)

(...) I'm estimating 16 at this point, but the more the better. (...) Good idea - rope isn't very expensive. My Uncle has a small drill press for making the holes. SRC StRuCtures (23 years ago, 31-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Show prep on Jan 13 (was Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there)

(...) I can make a detailed shopping list for James or go with him. Beyond the three play ovals, I see two main items for Jan 13th. One is the barricade buckets, the other is the mountain. There's three ways I see incorporating the mountain. One is (...) (23 years ago, 31-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Show prep on Jan 13 (was Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there)

(...) Doh! That should of course be the _mountain_ needs three tunnels. SRC (23 years ago, 31-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Show prep on Jan 13 (was Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there)

I forgot to mention that we could have almost used 14 for GETS 2000, remember we butted one end up against the other train display, so we didn't need a barrier on that side. I had drilled two holes in the pipes, one 6 inches below the other, I (...) (23 years ago, 31-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Show prep on Jan 13 (was Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there)

Will yoiu be able to bring the drill press to James place? Do you need a 3/8 inch drill bit? Michel (...) (23 years ago, 31-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Show prep on Jan 13 (was Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there)

I didn't understand that TLG was supplying the track for the play area. If it falls through, another possibility for the play area track, is to use my old grey 4.5/12V track. It takes longer to assemble, but I am not using it anymore, and won't mind (...) (23 years ago, 31-Dec-00, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Show prep on Jan 13 (was Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there)

(...) I believe it is a counter-top model, yes. (Should be OK for bits) SRC (23 years ago, 1-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Preparation for SuperTrain 2001

(...) I just got confirmation. TLG is sending me all the various LEGO that I requested for the kid's play area. If the Calgary club kicks in the $50 for the hardware and provides the tables and supervision as expected, we should have an awesome play (...) (23 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Preparation for SuperTrain 2001

Congratulations and great work on getting the play area supplies form TLG. Will I have to go to Calgary to find out what the secret surprise is? Did you want me to bring my roundhouse? The turntable is sunken, so it wouldn't work on a regular table. (...) (23 years ago, 3-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Preparation for SuperTrain 2001

(...) Secret surprise?? If you mean the "future of LEGO trains", you'll have to wait for Mr. Justus to make his announcement. AFAIK he won't be in Calgary, but it would be cool if he were to visit. :-) (...) It can still be a great non-functioning (...) (23 years ago, 3-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Preparation for SuperTrain 2001

(...) How do you want me to do this? I have a container yard, which occupies right now 7x3 (32x32) plates. Roughly, this takes 3 tracks (plus one mainline passes through it), and there are some neat things with the containers (a overhead crane made (...) (23 years ago, 3-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Preparation for SuperTrain 2001

(...) I also think we should put our time towards more buildings and worry less about function at this point. Function is cool & a bonus, but I'd rather have two static display pieces instead of 1 functional. (...) Hmm. Setup/takedown isn't my big (...) (23 years ago, 3-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Preparation for SuperTrain 2001

(...) My personal inclination would be to do a much larger version of the itty-bitty container yard we had at the GETS layout.. a couple sidings available for loading/offloading, and some cars in various states of load, with a large area just full (...) (23 years ago, 3-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Preparation for SuperTrain 2001

(...) My personal inclination would be to do a much larger version of the itty-bitty container yard we had at the GETS layout.. a couple sidings available for loading/offloading, and some cars in various states of load, with a large area just full (...) (23 years ago, 3-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Preparation for SuperTrain 2001

If we have room for other yards, I have just completed an enclosed double decker car carrier, so far it only fits convertibles, but I will try to alter the roof, to allow regular cars in the top rack. I'll bring it to Edmonton on the 13th. I will (...) (23 years ago, 4-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

SRC wrote in message ... (...) ;-) "John's guts" are still built and available. Since it's not 100% jam free yet, it should be run with no "grain". At GETS, it ran like this unattended for an entire afternoon. Once you obtain the elevator shell (...) (23 years ago, 4-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Preparation for SuperTrain 2001

John, If I use the GETS money to buy one of the packs of conveyor belts from myself, and then use superglue to permanently stick the mailboxes (or safes, lets not go there again!) to the threads, do you think that would fix the problem? Michel (...) (23 years ago, 4-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Preparation for SuperTrain 2001

(...) Yeah - That's what I had wanted to do at GETS, but there wasn't enough room, and the dummy containers never got built. This time we should be able to do it right. (...) Victoria? I thought you were a Newfie. 8-) (...) If you can make a sign (...) (23 years ago, 4-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Preparation for SuperTrain 2001

(...) I think I can squeeze in an auto-loading section on one side of the switching yard - I'll try to include it in the next layout posting. I would be concerned though about everyone's cars getting back to their respective owners. I'm going to (...) (23 years ago, 4-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Preparation for SuperTrain 2001

(...) With the much improved rope barrier and the huge play area to distract grabbing/touching, not to mention the elongated "three-sided shape" meaning we're mostly facing one direction, I think we should be OK. Of course any AFOL from NALug and/or (...) (23 years ago, 4-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Preparation for SuperTrain 2001

(...) I'm a Englishman, living in Canada for the last 21 years (of 24 :), who is in the Navy (_Never Again Volenteer Yourself), currently going to school in St John's, but awaiting my posting msg back to Victoria (west coast wants bodies) I _know_ (...) (23 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Preparation for SuperTrain 2001

It's moot (for this show anyway) unless you guys can build it up higher. As with the turntable, the tables are rentals, so anything that is displayed has to still flat on top of the tables - no cut-out. (...) (23 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Show prep on Jan 13 (was Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there)

Only a few days before Saturdays work bee, a few other questions. James, could you soak off the labels from the Lego pails before Saturday? I found about 15 minutes in hot water and the label peeled off nicely. James, do you have any of the (...) (23 years ago, 7-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Show prep on Jan 13 (was Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there)

(...) Can do. Am doing, in fact. (...) no hacksaw, no mitre box. 1 drill, 1 jigsaw. (...) For now, I think leave them at your parents as long as they've got the room. (and don't mind!) (...) Yah, probably a good idea. I'm not sure if we want to (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Show prep on Jan 13 (was Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there)

(...) IMO the wooden bases should be considered a failed experiment. The piping can still be used with the "bucket-bases", and then theoretically we only need some more piping and several hundred feet of rope. I can pick up the rope - Home Depot and (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Show prep on Jan 13

(...) I checked with my Uncle - My ears or memory or both are whacked. He does not have a drill press of any size. (My father had a both a table-top and floor size, but they're gone.) Sorry for the confusion. SRC (23 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Show prep on Jan 13

(...) I might be able to borrow a drill press on Saturday, but I'm not sure. I do know that I can go and use it pretty much any old time, so I can drill the rope holes later on. James (23 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: Show prep on Jan 13

I'll bring one, I had another need for the drill press. To drill a starter hole in the exact middle of some 2 inch long wooden dowels to attach to the inside bottom of the pails, to hold the bottom of the plastic pipe in the exact middle, so that it (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)