 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 318
Re: Latest Larger Layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 02:30:03 GMT

Michel and Kevin wrote:
Please NO more layouts with 61x61 mountains.
Steve, the monorail is an accent feature, not the main idea behind a
TRAIN layout.  Yes, spectators like it, but it gets in the way sometimes,
especially if we are looking at having the layout 61 inches across.
At Chris' we had an informal vote, and all except for you agreed to have
the monorail only partly around the layout.  Steve, could you please
adhere to the majority opinion.
, there is far too much monorail over and around the railyard
area. Reaching around, under, and over various precariously perched
pillars and pathways to rail/rerail traincars in the yard is just
playing into the palms of pandemonium.
I truly believe the monorail helix will have to go. I'm sure it's a
monorail marvel of "StRuCtural" engineering, but it looks far too huge
and ungainly for use on what is essentially a mobile model train display.
Would the group please speak out, either yay or nay, so that we might
put this niggling issue to rest? Thanks muchly.
I agree with Kevin on this subject.  How do we proceed from here,
does every decision have to go to majority vote?

Chill guys - I'm just throwing out ideas.  :-)
I don't remember any vote, but whatever amount of monorail is
the concensus is fine by me.  I don't think we have to vote on
anything/everything.  We're not that formal of a club are we?

Everything else about the above linked image however, is quite good.
Nice and smooth, plenty of building space, and a good-sized railyard.
Very nice.   The layout is nice, but depends on another set of tables.

Here's an update, keeping in mind everyone's comments.  It has both
loops straight through switches, the "main yard" is moved inside to be
easy to reach, the monorail is only from one side to the other, leaving
the main table area free, and doesn't even cross over any tracks.
The mountain is cut down to a managable size? with two train tunnels
and the only monorail level change hidden inside, so viewers will not
know how it got up/down so much in so short a distance. ;-)

It uses 7 large and 7 small, but I can easily make a lesser version
(not as nice of course) that uses only 6 of each if James has any
doubts about making the extra tables.

SRC