 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 317
Re: Latest Larger Layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 23:02:37 GMT

Hello Guys,

Please NO more layouts with 61x61 mountains.  James, Kevin, and I are against
the idea.  Steve is for it.  Chris' idea of two interconnected mountains could
be explored another year if the first mountain works out. After all we are
depending on Chris and/or James to build the darn thing.

Ok.  I can't do the giant mountain. ;]

I could do it, but I'll freely confess I don't want to.  I'm leaning more
towards Kevin's suggestion of an "open-backed" (curtain covered or what have
you) mountain that the operator can get into in case of derails.

Open back is a great solution to the easy access problem.>

The mountain in the above linked image is way too ambitious. Something • smaller,
positioned toward the inside of the table sloping down and outward, would be
much more appropriate. One, maybe two tunneled tracks, and perhaps one more
running - at table level - around the outside of the mountain would be just
fine.

Also, lets limit the number of tracks going through it.  Is the the majority
for or against an upper level 4.5 or 12V independent loop of track?  As it is,
two tracks in and out, plus the monorail, is lots.  With maybe the extra oval
if the mountain builders think it is feasible.

I would suggest keeping the monorail as a commuter system, on one side of the
layout, primarily running point-to-point, perhaps over a mostly residential
area.

Steve, the monorail is an accent feature, not the main idea behind a TRAIN
layout.  Yes, spectators like it, but it gets in the way sometimes, especially
if we are looking at having the layout 61 inches across.  At Chris' we had an
informal vote, and all except for you agreed to have the monorail only partly
around the layout.  Steve, could you please adhere to the majority opinion.

, there is far too much monorail over and around the railyard
area. Reaching around, under, and over various precariously perched pillars • and
pathways to rail/rerail traincars in the yard is just playing into the palms • of
pandemonium.

For 2001 lets do without a monorail spiral.  Steve, could we have one of our
NALUG meetings at your place, so that you could show us the helix.

I truly believe the monorail helix will have to go. I'm sure it's a monorail
marvel of "StRuCtural" engineering, but it looks far too huge and ungainly for
use on what is essentially a mobile model train display.

Would the group please speak out, either yay or nay, so that we might put this
niggling issue to rest? Thanks muchly.

I agree with Kevin on this subject.  How do we proceed from here, does every
decision have to go to majority vote?

Everything else about the above linked image however, is quite good. Nice and
smooth, plenty of building space, and a good-sized railyard. Very nice.

The layout is nice, but depends on another set of tables.  I think we should
plan for the tables we currently have.  It would be easy to add a few tables
later, if James or someone else does end up making more tables.  Having built
tables under a deadline, I can assure you that it is NOT fun.

MIchel