 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 314
Re: Latest Larger Layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 08:18:50 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Steve Chapple writes:

Ok.  I can't do the giant mountain. ;]

Well... I probably could, but I'm dubious about transportation issues and
modularity and access.

61 inches across won't fit in a van, or through a door, so it has to come
apart at least once, which makes it *much* more complicated to build
realistically.  Also, it's much more accessable from outside the layout than • to
the operator, which means we need to be able to take off the outside to handle
any derails.  Plus, with 4 tracks going in at 1 place and 4 tracks coming out,
and a large interior hole for a monorail spiral... yikes.

I could do it, but I'll freely confess I don't want to.  I'm leaning more
towards Kevin's suggestion of an "open-backed" (curtain covered or what have
you) mountain that the operator can get into in case of derails.

Hear Hear! Well said.

The mountain in the above linked image is way too ambitious. Something smaller,
positioned toward the inside of the table sloping down and outward, would be
much more appropriate. One, maybe two tunneled tracks, and perhaps one more
running - at table level - around the outside of the mountain would be just
fine.

I truly believe the monorail helix will have to go. I'm sure it's a monorail
marvel of "StRuCtural" engineering, but it looks far too huge and ungainly for
use on what is essentially a mobile model train display. Also, having it pop
in and out of a mountain would really destroy any illusion possible of the
mountain actually being a mountain rather than a molehill.

On top of that, there is far too much monorail over and around the railyard
area. Reaching around, under, and over various precariously perched pillars and
pathways to rail/rerail traincars in the yard is just playing into the palms of
pandemonium.

Would the group please speak out, either yay or nay, so that we might put this
niggling issue to rest? Thanks muchly.

I would suggest keeping the monorail as a commuter system, on one side of the
layout, primarily running point-to-point, perhaps over a mostly residential
area.

Everything else about the above linked image however, is quite good. Nice and
smooth, plenty of building space, and a good-sized railyard. Very nice.

I was about to add a dig at James that my BB store had more parts in
it than his and noticed Darryl (Sharms?) store.  He is an Albertan!
Does anyone know him?  If he's in Calgary, we should contact him to
see if he'd like to help out with SuperTrain 2001.   Adam - know him?

He's Darryl S. Harms, IIRC, (it's been awhile) and he is situated quite a ways
south of Calgary. I daren't get much more specific, I leave that to him should
he be reading this thread.

Kevin.