 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 315
Re: Latest Larger Layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:52:18 GMT

"Kevin Maynes" <kmaynesERASE@THISpowersurfrBIT.com> writes:

The mountain in the above linked image is way too ambitious. Something smaller,
positioned toward the inside of the table sloping down and outward, would be
much more appropriate. One, maybe two tunneled tracks, and perhaps one more
running - at table level - around the outside of the mountain would be just
fine.

How would you have tunneled tracks *and* a table-level loop? They would be
trying to occupy the same space. A raised loop works. Or are you suggesting
the tables the mountain is on be lowered the required 11 bricks (14?), so
that "table level" is lower than the rest of the tables?

I agree that a huge 61" x 61" mountain is pretty much out of the question,
but I think my suggestion of a pair of mountains with a stream in between
has some merit. One would have to secure the pair of 30.5" x 60" tables,
put the mountains down, build the stream in-between, then insert the
various bridges.

I truly believe the monorail helix will have to go. I'm sure it's a monorail
marvel of "StRuCtural" engineering, but it looks far too huge and ungainly for
use on what is essentially a mobile model train display. Also, having it pop
in and out of a mountain would really destroy any illusion possible of the
mountain actually being a mountain rather than a molehill.

Being used to model railroads has got me over worrying about that aspect
of things. They aren't "mountains", they are rocky hills. Fine by my - just
don't bother putting snow on top. I guess the image of the monorail doing
that clicks in my mind based on the mountain in Disneyland!

On top of that, there is far too much monorail over and around the railyard
area. Reaching around, under, and over various precariously perched pillars and
pathways to rail/rerail traincars in the yard is just playing into the palms of
pandemonium.

The fact that the monorail is between the operator area and the main yard
*is* a problem - hand access to the yard will be virtually impossible. Hmm,
given that the table is 61" wide at that point, there is almost no hand
access to the yard from the interior area anyway. That means that someone
standing outside the layout will have to be doing most of that stuff.

Steve, can the "double-track" part of the monorail move to the left of the
layout, rather than being on the bottom part? Perhaps the right edge of
the upper-left section could be the space for the main monorail station.
Alternatively, as Kevin suggests, the monorail could be a dogleg, going
from a loop ending just above the left end of the yard, up, right across
the humongous bridge, through the mountain, down, and then looping again
at the bottom of the lower right extension table. I'm not sure doing this
buys much in the way of access to the yard from the operator area, however,
given the distance (4-1/2 feet to the furthest track - I don't know about
you guys, but I sure can't reach that far!). A solution here is to
remove that monorail section, and move the yard up so that it is just
below the other inner loop section. Then the space for town and stuff is
between the yard and the outer loop. The yard would have to be just a bunch
of right-hand turnouts, since the connection I suggested in my previous
post needs a full loop space to do the 180 turn.

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg@ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/