 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 320
Re: Latest Larger Layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 05:03:47 GMT

"SRC" <LEGOArches@yahoo.com> writes:

Here's an update, keeping in mind everyone's comments.  It has both
loops straight through switches, the "main yard" is moved inside to be
easy to reach, the monorail is only from one side to the other, leaving
the main table area free, and doesn't even cross over any tracks.
The mountain is cut down to a managable size? with two train tunnels
and the only monorail level change hidden inside, so viewers will not
know how it got up/down so much in so short a distance. ;-)

It uses 7 large and 7 small, but I can easily make a lesser version
(not as nice of course) that uses only 6 of each if James has any
doubts about making the extra tables.

Looks good to me. Nice long sidings for storing trains, and there is
room to add more small ones in conjunction with buildings. The track
in front of the station is a bit short - room for two of the longer
passenger cars and the engine is all, but with the given format, there
isn't much to be done about it. Perhaps move the station to the bottom
of the outer loop, and use that right-side space for industries, like
perhaps the grain elevator.

On the issue of turnouts on the main run, I thinking keeping the main
branch all straight like this is quite important. On the layout on my
floor, you can hear a "clunk" as the engine's front wheels hit the
switch frog (the bit where the two rails cross) when the turnout is
turned. At high speeds it can cause derailments, too.

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg@ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/