 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 411
Re: Show prep on Jan 13 (was Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 05:34:30 GMT

For the rope barriers I used 1 1/4 inch rigid PVC conduit, it is used for
built in vaccuums.  One end is female, they are 10 feet long.  I used grey,
because the white ones in St Paul were so old and dirty they were almost
grey!  White would be much nicer.  I almost picked some up at home depot
today, they were $5.85 each.
How many posts do we need?  We could probably still use the GETS 2000 set,
just add to them, I built 12.  They are only 29.5 inches tall, which I
thought was a bit short
The dental plaster will be perfect, much cleaner than mixing concrete.
I used a drill press to drill the holes in the pipes, does anyone in the
city have access to one?  Otherwise I'll have to bring one to Edmonton.
As far as plastic Lego pails are concerned, I cleaned out the Millwoods
Zellers of the only three small red pails they had, these are perfect, wide
base, low center of gravity, short and easy to store, and best of all bright
red, not to be missed, like the wooden bases I mistakingly painted white!
I was thinking we could cut the female end off and insert it into the
concrete (or dental plaster) with the female end up, just to the
undersurface of the lid.  Drill a hole in the center of the lid, the outside
diameter of the pipe.  The pails could still be stacked for storage when not
in use.  A simple length of pipe would be inserted through the hole in the
lid, into the anchored female end when we set up.  For now we could use the
shorter grey lengths I have, cut longer white ones, but use them in the
wooden holders, until we eventually replace them all with the red pails.
I am not sure of the best way to make sure that the short lengths of pipe in
the "cement" remain perfectly vertical, any ideas?

The rope, (I can't find what we had at GETS 2000!) was from Canadian tire,
white 1/4 or 5/16 inch in diameter very soft.  They sold them in bags of 50
feet, we may have to look at other options, but I really didn't like the
yellow stiff rope they sold in bulk.

Thanks for coordinating things in Edmonton James.

I had been planning to build a play table for us to use at our shows, but it
is nothing compared to what Steve has arranged.  I thought 90 inches by 36
inches, on 1/2 good one side plywood, 1x3 or 1x4 clear fir on the edges,
projecting 1 inch or so above the table top, so as to allow removable bolts
to anchor vinyl eavesthrough to all 4 sides.  I would router a 1/2 inch
wide, and about 1/4 inch deep groove along the length of the solid wood to
add extra strength to the table.  (Ten foot lengths were $5.85 at home
depot.)  With fold down legs,(which I just bought at home depot) using the
rest of the plywood on the under surface to support the legs.  Several holes
to run the electrical wires under the table, and out of reach. Let me know
if I should nix this idea, before I start buying more materials!

Michel

Hmm.  Has anyone else picked up any supplies (beyond what Michel already
has) for barricades?  If no one has already gotten stuff, don't worry about
it. I'll pick up the necessary stuff between now and the 13th.  I've got
some ideas, and I already have several kilo's of dental plaster (don't ask)
in my garage; it will work just as well as cement.

Michel - what diameter pipe did you get for the first set of barricades?
I'll need to know so I can pick up the right diameter sleeves.