 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 412
Re: Show prep on Jan 13 (was Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 05:59:56 GMT

As far as track, I have 7 pair of switches, 2 of the crossovers and atleast
(but not a lot more than) 190 curves and 150 straights.

If you aren't going to motorize the play area, do you want me to bring some
of our Duplo trains and track?

They used to make some prepainted hardboard, it might be worth asking about.
How are you going to transport something 4x8 feet in size to Calgary?

Keep in mind that to make a loop of track to fit a 4x8 area would take as
many as 36 straight and 16 curved track each.  I would be more nervous about
track and wheelset damage with kids pushing the trains by hand, they could
put too much pressure and thereby damage the Lego.  Maybe just a Lego play
area without the train stuff?  If you have such a large area, we would have
to have a huge number of wheelsets, boggies and wagon plates.  Using the old
parts list (I don't have the price handy for the new black wagon parts
pack), 1 5303 pair of magnets, 2 5304 pair of wheels, 1 5302 pair bogies and
1 5300 red wagon plate, would run about US$15 per set.  If you have a
smaller area, kids have to take turns, so the pieces are recycled a bit more.

You should check with the other train clubs, but it was my impression at the
show I saw that the fun part for the kids was running the trains they built.
There lies the advantage of Lego trains, build and run, then take apart and
rebuild to run again.  None of the traditional model train lines can claim
that trait.
Michel

We (one of the main Calgary organizers and I) decided that it would be
simpler and safer to not include the electric motors in the play area.
No expensive motors to get damaged or lost, no controlers, no wires to
the track, and especially - no 110V electrical wires in the play area.

My plan is to mount three track ovals on three 4'x8' sheets of 1/4"
hardboard.  I could get some _beautiful_ finished 1/2" counter-top for
about the same price, (1/2 price clearance) but it's just too dang heavy.

Hmm.  Is it a surfaced hardboard?  I'm wondering if we should get an already
surfaced material, or just paint the heck out of plain wood... I guess it
doesn't make a difference either way.

It is already a smooth surface, either dark brown or white.  I hadn't
planned to paint it though, given the cost and limited time frame.

The "oval sheets" will then be clamped on top of the three pairs of
tables (2'x8' each) provided in the fenced play area

Cool.  So you're going to hardmount the track to the wood?  Good idea.
We'll have to cut down the 4x8's to fit the rental tables.  Do you want
to add that to our list of projects for the 13th?

No - I guess I should've explained better.  Take a pair of 2'x8' tables
and place them side by side such that the surface area is 4'x8', then
put the 4'x8' "oval sheet" on top of the tables and clamp in place.

You guys realize of course that this will make the kid's play area
roughly double the size of our layout at GETS, which is one of the
reasons that I'm planning on a much larger layout.  John Powell has
already given me a track inventory - Michel (and anyone else with
more than a handful of straights that can be borrowed) please LMK
quantities that you would make available so I can plan a layout.

SRC
StRuCtures