 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 424
423  |  425
Subject:
Preparation for SuperTrain 2001
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 21:22:38 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Steve Chapple writes:
I'm_still_getting_final_confirmation, but it looks like the Calgary
organizers will provide the space, the (six) tables, the supervision,
AND will reimburse me for the (non-LEGO) materials costs (hardboard,
screws, etc.)  LEGO has also been _very_ cooperative, offering to provide
not only "K8", but some track and empty #3737s for the kids to build with.

In the course of working out the details, I happened to get an advance
look at the future...  I'm dying to share with you, but Brad Justus asked
me not to "steal his thunder" - He will be making a proper announcement
soon (and you're gonna love it).  8-)

I just got confirmation.  TLG is sending me all the various LEGO
that I requested for the kid's play area.  If the Calgary club kicks
in the $50 for the hardware and provides the tables and supervision
as expected, we should have an awesome play area.

I also just got the preliminary diagram for the over-all layout.
The plan as it stands now is for the play area and layout to face
each other with the Calgary boy's LEGO layout beside us.

In addition to John Powell's huge LEGO loan, David Harris of BayLUG
has offered to send some track.  He's interested in photos of Canadian
train stuff like our half-height engines and the roundhouse in Calgary.
Kevin - I thought you might already have something of interest to him?
If you can't make it to Supertrain 2001, may I borrow that fantastic
SONY of yours?  Yes, I promise to give it back, even though I'd rather
keep it.   :-)

At this point my plan is for a "three-sided" 20' x 60' layout.  The down
side of this is the ~$200 cost of renting the tables.  Hopefully the
compensation sharing will be enough to cover it and James' fuel, etc.
James - Can you confirm that you can get the Friday off so we can
head down early?  They'll even let us in a few hours sooner than
"everyone else" if we need the time and so that there will be
something for the media to take pictures of.

Considering how some has "dissed" TLC in the past, I think I should
publicly state that TLC has been great.  Not only are they supplying
over $400 worth of LEGO for the show, when I asked if I would have
to pay to ship back the LEGO after the show, their reply was:

  You may keep the pieces we send as our thanks
  to you for holding such a great LEGO train event.

Isn't that cool?  Now I (we) can probably provide play areas at any show
we might attend.  Plus, all my "nephews" won't have to complain anymore
that all my LEGO is in boxes and that there's nothing to play with...   :-)

SRC
StRuCtures