 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 405
Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 23:44:36 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Michel Magnan writes:
    <snip>
2.  Play area planning, 2 or 3 loops of track...

Things are falling into place nicely for the kid's play area at
SuperTrain2001.  If I haven't told you already, it is the largest train
show in Canada, and in the top ten for North America.  Over 10,000
visitors are expected, so I'm expecting 3,000 kids - 1,000 at each table
(not all at the same time of course).

I'm_still_getting_final_confirmation, but it looks like the Calgary
organizers will provide the space, the (six) tables, the supervision,
AND will reimburse me for the (non-LEGO) materials costs (hardboard,
screws, etc.)  LEGO has also been _very_ cooperative, offering to provide
not only "K8", but some track and empty #3737s for the kids to build with.

In the course of working out the details, I happened to get an advance
look at the future...  I'm dying to share with you, but Brad Justus asked
me not to "steal his thunder" - He will be making a proper announcement
soon (and you're gonna love it).  8-)

We (one of the main Calgary organizers and I) decided that it would be
simpler and safer to not include the electric motors in the play area.
No expensive motors to get damaged or lost, no controlers, no wires to
the track, and especially - no 110V electrical wires in the play area.

My plan is to mount three track ovals on three 4'x8' sheets of 1/4"
hardboard.  I could get some _beautiful_ finished 1/2" counter-top for
about the same price, (1/2 price clearance) but it's just too dang heavy.
The "oval sheets" will then be clamped on top of the three pairs of tables
(2'x8' each) provided in the fenced play area.  The Calgary organizers
plan to have other brands of toy trains there as well - should make for
an interesting marketing experiment.  I know what brand I'm betting on.  ;-)

SRC
StRuCtures