 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 429
Re: Preparation for SuperTrain 2001
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 21:30:55 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Michel Magnan writes:
Congratulations and great work on getting the play area supplies from TLG.
Will I have to go to Calgary to find out what the secret surprise is?

Secret surprise??  If you mean the "future of LEGO trains", you'll
have to wait for Mr. Justus to make his announcement.  AFAIK he
won't be in Calgary, but it would be cool if he were to visit.  :-)

Did you want me to bring my roundhouse?  The turntable is sunken,
so it wouldn't work on a regular table.  The roundhouse might look
weird without the turntable.

It can still be a great non-functioning building.  I certainly want to
show your grain elevator model even if "John's guts" can't be included.  ;-)

I have concerns with the size of the layout, I won't be there to
install or take down, but it seems pretty ambitious for just 3 guys.

Who's the third guy?  Even if it was still just me, I don't see what
the problem is.  If the tables are already setup, (yes - this is important)
even at 15 seconds per track segment, we're only talking two or at the
most three hours to lay the track.  If I'm there early afternoon like
I plan to be, I've got seven or even eight hours...

It will be pretty bare since we don't have the structures to fill in
that much space.  Larger isn't necessarily better.

IMO - generally speaking - it is.  When a train is crossing our prairies
or mountains, how many buildings does it pass?  I think by the time we
add your container station, (and James Powells containers) fuel station,
grain elevator and other buildings, a bunch of buildings and a mountain
from James, not to mention my bridge and incline towers, I think we'll
have a very nice layout indeed.  Sure a few thousand trees and some
more baseplates and buildings could be added, but this is after all a
train show not a building show.  The big plus to this layout is all the
long sidings.  We can get all that lovely rolling stock or yours and James
Powells out of the tupperware and up on the table where it belongs.
Think PNLTC Guinness layout, but smaller and up on tables.    8-)

SRC
StRuCtures