 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 432
Re: Preparation for SuperTrain 2001
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 22:32:02 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Steve Chapple writes:
In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Michel Magnan writes:
It can still be a great non-functioning building.  I certainly want to
show your grain elevator model even if "John's guts" can't be included.  ;-)

I also think we should put our time towards more buildings and worry less
about function at this point.  Function is cool & a bonus, but I'd rather
have two static display pieces instead of 1 functional.

I have concerns with the size of the layout, I won't be there to
install or take down, but it seems pretty ambitious for just 3 guys.

Who's the third guy?  Even if it was still just me, I don't see what
the problem is.  If the tables are already setup, (yes - this is important)
even at 15 seconds per track segment, we're only talking two or at the
most three hours to lay the track.  If I'm there early afternoon like
I plan to be, I've got seven or even eight hours...

Hmm.  Setup/takedown isn't my big worry, actually.  My concern is that we've
only got 2 guys keeping an eye on things for a layout that's approximately
the size of my house.  I would really prefer something smaller, but if
20'x60' is what we've committed to, then I guess that's what we're working
with. :/

We're gonna run our butts ragged.

It will be pretty bare since we don't have the structures to fill in
that much space.  Larger isn't necessarily better.

IMO - generally speaking - it is.  When a train is crossing our prairies
or mountains, how many buildings does it pass?  I think by the time we
add your container station, (and James Powells containers) fuel station,
grain elevator and other buildings, a bunch of buildings and a mountain
from James, not to mention my bridge and incline towers, I think we'll
have a very nice layout indeed.  Sure a few thousand trees and some
more baseplates and buildings could be added, but this is after all a
train show not a building show.

I've been thinking about our options here, and I think that with things a
bit less cramped, we can make it a bit more realistic.  Our "town" at GETS
was 2 houses, a store and a park, and *very* cramped.  Given a little room
to add stuff like yards & the like, that 4 baseplates could easily be 8 or
10 without looking sparse.  And that's without even adding any buildings.

No, like I mention above, my concern isn't space, or setup, it's manning the
layout.  Just did some quick math, and if only 1 in 10 people there asks a
single question, we're still fielding about a question a minute each.  Add
on top of that layout maintenance tasks, and the necessity to move 50 feet
to get from one end to the other... Well, it's going to be a busy weekend.

James
(sorry about the long silence, but I've been fighting off illness the last
while)