 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 393
Re: SuperTrain 2001 - I'll be there
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 19:53:21 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Michel Magnan writes:
Steve,
I need to know what you want me to bring to Edmonton for the Calgary show.
So far I will bring the
<snip list of stuff>

We/you still need to decide on the following:
1.  Do I bring all my tables to Edmonton, or just the one with a hole to be
used as a base for the mountain, or are they not at all compatible with the
tables you will be renting in Calgary.  I need to know fairly early, so that I
can work on the legs.

Call me paranoid, but I'd like to have the tables available, even if we do
decide to go with the rented tables - Anyone remember what the tables were
like at the food vendors for GETS?  I wouldn't want to trust my layout to
that quality of shaky thing.

2.  Play area planning, 2 or 3 loops of track?  I can donate the loops of
track and 2 transformers, and The Lego Group is supplying plain bricks, but
we need motors, boggies, magnets and baseplates.  How do we supply these?  As
well as the plastic gutter (eavesthrough) to go around the table to catch the
pieces. It would be nice if whatever we use in Calgary would also be
compatible with our other tables, so we could use them in Edmonton.  I was
wondering about using a hollow core 30 inches wide by 6 foot 8 inch plain
door, with extra backing on one side, and a simple set of folding legs, a bit
lower than our current tables, with eavesthrouh on 3 or 4 sides.  Preferably
with the top painted.  Also paid for with the GETS pool.

Hmm.  How about dispensing with the tables entirely?  Have the kids area (or
each loop of track) in an inflatable kiddie pool on the floor.  Easier all
around.

As to motors/bogies/baseplates, I'd suggest 1 motored truck and 3 or 4
unpowered trucks per loop.  Build them to the boggies/couplers/plates stage,
and then let the kids turn them into trains from there.

3. Enough barriers to go around the display.  I threw away most of my blue
pails.  We need to figure out how many we need, and have members donate the
pails, then create the rope holders with concrete and 1 1/2 PVC as previously
described.  That could perhaps be a project for January 13th if James garage
is heated?  Otherwise, my parents garage is heated.

My garage isn't inherently heated, but can be made so with some advance
notice (2 or 3 catalytic heaters makes it comfortable to work in, unless the
weather is *really* nasty).

I recycled all my pails a few months ago.  But Zellers has the little red
pails for 10 bucks or something like that - not a bad value, and I doubt raw
materials for any other kind of base would be cheaper.  Maybe people can
split half&half on several buckets, and keep the bricks, while NALUG gets
the bucket.  The little red ones strick me as the perfect size, 'cause
they're shorter and easier to store.

4.  Which of the rest of my trains do you want me to bring.  Do you want me to
bring monorail track.
5.  With the tables all at the same level, do you want the port sets?

Sure, bring 'em.

In general regarding tables, I'm inclined to say don't worry about making
more legs between now and Supertrain.  We'll use what we've got now, and
supplement with rentals.

James