 Off-Topic / Debate / *14531 (-100)
  Re: mine mine mine (was Re: I miss the old LUGNET...)

(...) I agree completely with Scott. It is reasonable in general to protect ones rights to IP. The manner in which various people do this is another matter entirely. Chris (23 years ago, 5-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Abdul Haq (was Re: 6 degrees of separation.)

(...) Would that be Abdul Haq in his peacemaking persona, or the terrorist one? It is my understanding that Mr Haq was quite an accomplished terrorist. In 1984 he planted a bomb in Kabul airport - it killed 28 people (mostly school-children). A (...) (23 years ago, 5-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: mine mine mine (was Re: I miss the old LUGNET...)

(...) Really? (...) That is not the point. Both Larry and Mladen claim ownership of their designs, but neither wishes to share without credit. It is that simple. Larry: ==+== ...feel some sense of ownership (the same way any designer does) in the (...) (23 years ago, 5-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: mine mine mine (was Re: I miss the old LUGNET...)

(...) The differences I see are: 1. Larry doesn't make his design(s) public, and 2. Larry has never asked anyone for credit, claiming they've used his design(s). At least not publicly on Lugnet, AFAIK. ROSCO (23 years ago, 5-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  mine mine mine (was Re: I miss the old LUGNET...)

(...) Forgive me if I am wrong Larry, but do you not copyright your designs? How different is that from your caricature of Mladen?? Scott A (23 years ago, 5-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I miss the old LUGNET...

(...) Larry, getting actively involved is something many of us try to do, Mladnen included. Unfortunately, sometimes helping comes across as criticism, no matter how hard we try to make it not look like that. I've recently been on that side of (...) (23 years ago, 5-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I miss the old LUGNET...

(...) Well, you slagged Eric too. You just have to prove that you are right, don't you Larry? You just couldn't leave Amy's first message to Eric alone, could you? You always have to add your two cents... Well, this is what it got you. (...) Nah, I (...) (23 years ago, 5-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I miss the old LUGNET...

(...) Well, let's see. Mladen slagged Amy. I called him on it but then let his comebacks insults go. Mladen called me LUGNET's policeman. In another thread, I discussed why people who care about LUGNET need to get actively involved in helping grow (...) (23 years ago, 5-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I miss the old LUGNET...

(...) Agreed (...) No grudges, I just prefer to be spoken with rather than spoken to. I'm certain that others around here would prefer that as well. (...) I have positive view about Larry most of the time. Sometimes he manages to come across as (...) (23 years ago, 5-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I miss the old LUGNET...

(...) No one made me the judge of anything. I was testing to see if you had the willpower to let the discussion drop. I have my answer. (...) Hmmm...looks like you don't really read Mladen's posts after all. I might as well talk to the wall if this (...) (23 years ago, 5-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Legos role in Anti-terrorism

(...) made (...) and (...) Yep. Just as the American government chose to ignore other warnings (alleged) from bin Laden - US embassy in Kenya, USS Cole... (...) You pay the price for other things too. (...) for (...) things (...) Agreed. ROSCO (23 years ago, 4-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I miss the old LUGNET...

(...) has (...) this (...) I think you missed the point of what (most) people posted about. They're not talking on a change in the last few months, but in a change over the past 3-5 years! I doubt the email/nntp authuntication had that kind of (...) (23 years ago, 4-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I miss the old LUGNET...

And who said flame wars were dead? Granted this may not big a huge flame war, but still. ~my thoughts~ Ok, I agree with Larry - I think he has very valid points and good intentions. I do not know if people just do not get what he is trying to say, (...) (23 years ago, 4-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I miss the old LUGNET...

(...) He said "topic closed," but also said that replies should be sent to his e-mail, so I would assume that that meant the topic was closed on LUGNET, but was meant to continue through e-mail. :-) -Geordan- (23 years ago, 4-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I miss the old LUGNET...

(...) Hey Larry, I've stop that kind of behaviour & attitude. The difference between you and me is that I can actually learn from my mistakes. Go back to posting your LP spam now, and annoying Scott, 'cause I'm getting sick of you. Mladen Pejic, (...) (23 years ago, 4-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I miss the old LUGNET...

(...) "Topic Closed." means "move it to email", then? Thanks for the tip. (23 years ago, 4-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I miss the old LUGNET...

(...) Well Mladen, I'm going for it, ;-) (...) Maybe he didn't want the topic to be posted to LUGNET, as to save bandwidth, I'm sure you agree? and I don't believe he CLOSED the topic, as just moved it to e-mail, :-) (...) I'll back that up too, :-) (...) (23 years ago, 4-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I miss the old LUGNET...

(...) Who made you the judge of what topic is closed and what topic isn't? Topics stop being posted about because all the participants stop. (...) So "mine mine mine, you can't post that design without crediting me" is helpful? I'll keep that in (...) (23 years ago, 4-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: "emergency becomes a *disaster.*"

(...) How about "banks don't loan money to political parties"?? If the LP folds up, it *will* be a disaster. To the LP. Maybe not to anyone else of course, but the use of the word disaster is justified, in context. If I lost my job, it would be a (...) (23 years ago, 4-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Legos role in Anti-terrorism

(...) Well, Fredrik, technically speaking debates go in .off-topic.debate. Joseph made a statement which many of us wouldn't have thought to be political in nature upon first viewing it. Your reply made me review it again. I'm not certain whether or (...) (23 years ago, 4-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I miss the old LUGNET...

(...) Then perhaps you should take your own advice, Larry. Some of us would rather spend our time building, congratulating others on their new creations, and offering help to those who ask for it rather than tearing down others here at LUGNET. (...) (23 years ago, 4-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is Larry a Creationist? 8^) Re: Future of Humanity (was: lotsa stuff)

(...) for an update: someone sent a digital watch (or alarm clock) through the mail and it started beeping for some reason. In other words: bomb scare. -chris (23 years ago, 4-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: "emergency becomes a *disaster.*"

  Re: No evil people

(...) Candidate definition: Someone who consistently performs evil acts, knowing that under objective morality they are evil. (...) Well, I guess I'd want to hear your definition, since you presumably have one since you agreed with me on the (...) (23 years ago, 3-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I miss the old LUGNET...

(...) No one. See (URL) for some further thoughts on this. (...) This is actually pretty good advice. If only it were true that, in your case, building (and posting about your MOCs in a gracious way) was the sum total of your contributions here at (...) (23 years ago, 3-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: No evil people

Larry Pieniazek <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:GM87Jw.Iry@lugnet.com... (...) IMO all those people performed evil acts. How do you define an 'evil person'? How do you define evil? Can someone perform evil acts & not be an evil (...) (23 years ago, 3-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I miss the old LUGNET...

(...) No thanks, I'd rather devote my time to building. (...) What (...) Yup! (...) Guess so. (...) :-P (...) Mladen Pejic, over and out! (URL) (23 years ago, 3-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: No evil people

(...) I think that there ARE evil people. Here are a few candidates for you to consider: Pol Pot. Joseph McCarthy. Joseph Stalin. Jeffrey Dahmer. (that last one, some will argue is a mentally ill person, but I'm not sure one way or the other... it's (...) (23 years ago, 3-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: No evil people

Larry Pieniazek <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:GM853y.CJE@lugnet.com... (...) good, (...) you (...) remorseless (...) Yes thanks. I do not deny the existence of evil. IMO evil is a description of an action. I believe there are (...) (23 years ago, 3-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  No evil people

(...) Care to elaborate on that? I've said in the past that most people are good, but I do acknowledge that there may be some that are not. It sounds like you think that no matter how much evil a person does, no matter how remorseless their actions, (...) (23 years ago, 3-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I miss the old LUGNET...

(...) I thought it was up to each member of a group to make the group better. Maybe the better question is why don't you contribute that way? (...) I wish I were as creative as either Eric or Larry. But so the hell what? What was your goal in such a (...) (23 years ago, 3-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Afghanistan makes direct threat to Australia

(...) They have been busy defending us from those nasty refugees though. ;) Carl -- Member #1165 (URL) LEGO Users Group (URL) (23 years ago, 3-Nov-01, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Girlfriends Guardians!!!

Hi Rick This makes a change from Lar & Scott's continual bickering. ;) My opinions: 1. Whatever decision you make should be in complete agreement with your GF & should have the effect of improving your relationship. Think about what you want & why (...) (23 years ago, 3-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dirty Money

(...) And what color would the skin of the respective parties be? Race matters... (23 years ago, 3-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I miss the old LUGNET...

Heh! I agree with both of you guys! BTW Larry, who made you LUGNET's policeman? You just wish you had as much creativity and talent as Eric. :-P (...) (23 years ago, 3-Nov-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: I miss the old LUGNET...

I agree with everything said here Eric, (...) Truth be told, I only saw this recently, a few weeks ago, I meant to pass on my congrats through e-mail but forgot completely, sorry. :-( (...) Amen! when I was just getting started with showing off my (...) (23 years ago, 3-Nov-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Future of Humanity (was: lotsa stuff)

(...) of (...) tend (...) bell (...) having (...) longer, (...) the (...) and (...) the (...) right & (...) makes (...) still (...) level (...) I don't agree with this. You're thinking cataclysmic events like a meteorite hit. I think it's more (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Future of Humanity (was: lotsa stuff)

(...) <nit-pick> I think this is totally natural evolution. Our technology is an extension of our phenotype, just culturally expressed rather than genetically, and since it lets us access a new environment it makes biological sense that we adapt to (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Future of Humanity (was: lotsa stuff)

(...) <snappy rejoinder> I think it's got a lot more to do with conscience than brains. It's because we're the smartest/most technological species that we're in a position to wipe ourselves out (see crechebaby thread for "extinction" scenario). (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Girlfriends Guardians!!!

(...) I think so. I mean, if they're a threat, then we can't very well let them just hang out and hurt people. If we can fix them, then obviously we do. But in most cases I think psychiatry is a waiting game until they just get over it...if they (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Girlfriends Guardians!!!

(...) Only if you accept that "any real spiritual sense" exists. Atheism can entail a disbelief in exactly that. Likewise, if one holds a faith-based belief in a particular god, then that person's "real spiritual sense" makes sense to that person, (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dear Abby...with a difference (was: Girlfriends Guardians!!!)

(...) Sounds like basic the basic sister:brother dyad to me. (...) Or, for that matter, why her brother matters in the equation. If she lives at home and is still supported by the guardians, it's not inappropriate for them to impose some rules, even (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Girlfriends Guardians!!!

(...) Do you allow for life-long treatment, even if that treatment necessitates incarceration? I ask because if there's an organic flaw in the brain chemistry, then the individual is realistically a threat forever. (...) By "stringent controls" I (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dear Aby...with a difference (was: Girlfriends Guardians!!!)

(...) I guess the first thing that I'd do is consult with your girlfriend and her brother about what's going on and see if you 'kids' can work it out. Even if he doesn't like you, why would he want to make his sister unhappy? (...) To the parents or (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Girlfriends Guardians!!!

(...) I don't think so. But only because I think that they should remain in treatment until they do not pose a credible threat. (...) They need more help than punishment if that's what you you both mean. (...) What's the difference between them and (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Future of Humanity (was: lotsa stuff)

(...) Not with technology advancing at the rate it is. You only need a colony large enough to help raise crechebabies in the case of major disasters, and a diverse enough genetic stockpile to avoid having to waste time working around genetic (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Future of Humanity (was: lotsa stuff)

(...) I think one of the biggest shifts in our species "unnatural evolution" will come when we stop worrying about the effect of zerogee (ZG) on the human body and split into ZG and PlusG branches, where ZGs will have no DESIRE to visit planets and (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Future of Humanity (was: lotsa stuff)

(...) Yes, the total population outsystem won't really matter - as long as there are a few HUNDRED beings concentrated in one place (to handle rearing of crechebabies), and sufficient genetic stock stockpiled in many different places, we should be (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Future of Humanity (was: lotsa stuff)

(...) I dispute that. While there will always be people on the far edges of the bell curve no matter what the scale of the curve, I would tend to believe that having that curve shifted UP would increase the chance of our species surviving longer, (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Dirty Money

Compare and contrast: Adams gets New York ovation (URL) York rejects Saudi millions (URL) mum. Scott A (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  "emergency becomes a *disaster.*"

Is disaster an overused word these days? Take a read of this: ==+== On Tuesday, we got a smattering of First Class mail, which the Post Office is now routing through Virginia and Maryland to avoid their anthrax-tainted facilities in Washington, DC. (...) (23 years ago, 1-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Doing the Discover Mag Rag (Was: At last, a Federal program we can all support.)

(...) 1. It's not Scotland. (...) What is "thingy"? (...) In Scotland it's pretty much the same, except we boil everything in lard - not water. ;-) Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Doing the Discover Mag Rag (Was: At last, a Federal program we can all support.)

(...) Is this because of the curry-houses? I thought it was due to BSE? ;) The 3 month limit is crazy, one bad burger[1] is all it takes to catch it. Scott A [1] Or other beef product. (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: ...but Japan didn't agree with that assessment.

(...) Clearly, it is not all. (...) I don't quite agree. But in most cases - yes. (...) I have no idea where I stand relative to you or your countrymen? Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Girlfriends Guardians!!!

Well, here's my take on the whole thing... First you have to decide if your girl and you are truly serious about each other -- sometimes it seems really serious because of hormones, youthful exuberance, etc. These are REAL phenomena -- you can feel (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Doing the Discover Mag Rag (Was: At last, a Federal program we can all support.)

(...) Yes, it certainly brings new meaning to the phrase "have an Indian". I admit of a double take the first time I heard that phrase used to mean going out for food (not that I've heard it any other way, mind you) However according to the Red (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Doing the Discover Mag Rag (Was: At last, a Federal program we can all support.)

(...) That last chunk in the back of nothing but British job ads is a dangerous thing to have in the house, especially since Barbara wants to move us to England. :-, Indeed, this is an ongoing discussion in our house. Reasons to move to England: - (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Doing the Discover Mag Rag (Was: At last, a Federal program we can all support.)

(...) Don't be so quick to dismiss the Weekly World News! I find it an invaluable resource for the all-too-often times I'm stuck behind someone who's trying to buy 18 cases of soup at the grocery store. And besides, I can't wait to see how the Bat (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Doing the Discover Mag Rag (Was: At last, a Federal program we can all support.)

(...) Well, the guy who said 3 generations didn't really specify what his critera were. To get a self-sustaining market economy could take just a few years. To get their economy, middle class, and standard of living up to expectations set by their (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Girlfriends Guardians!!!

(...) When I said "that" I was referring to someone being tagged as a sex offender (for statutory rape if both parties "consent", that is, no violence was involved, and both parties are under age. (yes they might be below the age of consent...)) for (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 6 degrees of separation..

(...) compensation? (...) Oooops, shoulda wrapped that in <RHETORICAL> tags. I doubt airline security even crossed their minds when deciding what to do with Saddam's frozen funds, just figured maybe it'd be something to think about with any of (...) (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: ...but Japan didn't agree with that assessment.

(...) must (...) And even if they do, it's just a case of the middle ground coinciding with the law. ROSCO (23 years ago, 2-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Girlfriends Guardians!!!

(...) Yes. (...) Yes. (...) But why should the rest of society have to live with the possibility that the offender's behavior may not be controlled? Or the possibility that the offender may decide not to show up for his Depo Provera treatment (or (...) (23 years ago, 1-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Girlfriends Guardians!!!

The subject line made me think, at first, that we were talking about Paradisa mecha. ;) (...) Yes, but as long as she's under her guardians' (they're not her parents?) roof, they have the ability to monitor and modify her behaviour. Her other (...) (23 years ago, 1-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Girlfriends Guardians!!!

This doesn't really apply to the root question anymore, but... (...) I've wondered about that as well. On one hand, if a medically demonstrable risk continues to exist that an individual will commit a crime again, is it not in the public's interest (...) (23 years ago, 1-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Girlfriends Guardians!!!

(...) Just noticed this thread while trying to find info on clones, but anyway. I am an attorney in Washington State. It sounds like you would be safe from any criminal prosecutions if you had sexual relations (although she would not necessarily (...) (23 years ago, 1-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Girlfriends Guardians!!!

(...) We are both over age 16. She is 18, turned that today did she. :) (...) She is 18, as I said before, and if i understand what you and James are saying this makes her an adult and willing to do as she pleases. And my parents love her, I just (...) (23 years ago, 1-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Girlfriends Guardians!!!

(...) She is 18, I am 16... So she is probably old enough to decide that stuff. Rick (23 years ago, 1-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Girlfriends Guardians!!!

(...) I was thinking of posting about being leery of age of consent issues myself, but you have hit it on the head, James... The age of consent in Michigan is 16. Unless you're both 16 or older you are in a world of trouble if they want to *make* (...) (23 years ago, 1-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Girlfriends Guardians!!!

(...) My advice to you would be to "tread lightly." If you have a serious relationship that could last long-term, then with some patience and discretion you should be able to last until you are both 18 and she is free to chose whom to see. Trying to (...) (23 years ago, 1-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Dear Aby...with a difference (was: Girlfriends Guardians!!!)

(...) They have met me once or twice when I picked her up for youth group before we got real serious, and any other information was supplied by their son, who despises me. Goes out of his way to insult me in hall.. :-\. I have been advised to write (...) (23 years ago, 1-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Dear Aby...with a difference (was: Girlfriends Guardians!!!)

(...) Do they know you? What don't they like? Maybe they're just not ready for their sweet little honey-kins to be growing up. Have you asked them what their problem is (I'd recommend phrasing it a bit differently)? (...) Hey, I drove before it was (...) (23 years ago, 1-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: ...but Japan didn't agree with that assessment.

(...) At the same time that I won't accept morality with which I do not agree, I must live in a system in which a common morality has been developed. I don't see anything wrong with lots of things that are against the law, so I base my activities on (...) (23 years ago, 1-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 'work of neo-Nazis' (Re: Anthrax Info)

(...) Yes. Absolutely. Without reservation. Not only OK, but actually good. It is much easier to track their activities when they advertise. (...) There is no good reason to prevent people from hearing ideas and allowing them to compete for (...) (23 years ago, 1-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Girlfriends Guardians!!!

Hello. As some of you may or may not know, I am in a relationship where my girlfriend's guardians do not like me much, they have false accusations against me, and even filed a police report against me because they do not like me, the police report (...) (23 years ago, 1-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 'work of neo-Nazis' (Re: Anthrax Info)

(...) That's easy - don't allow the Internet! It's something that was created in the United States anyway - complaining about how we use our own creation doesn't seem to carry great moral weight. (...) Yes, but at least here, there is a general (...) (23 years ago, 1-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 6 degrees of separation..

(...) I doubt it. This particular stonewalling has been going on for longer than the current situation. I really have no idea where the State Department spends its money, but if I were to take a stab at it, I would say they took the windfall of (...) (23 years ago, 1-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 6 degrees of separation..

(...) Yup, much like that indeed. (...) There is speculation, in that I didn't actually go check and see if the frozen funds are in the State Department sandbox. So I might be ascribing selfish motives where mere beaurocratic inertia is sufficient. (...) (23 years ago, 1-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 'work of neo-Nazis' (Re: Anthrax Info)

(...) This is a dangerous line to try to draw. We think it safer for freedom to allow people to say what they will and let the audience decide, than to suppress kinds of speech. (pulling up the rock often has a far worse effect on the grubs that (...) (23 years ago, 1-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: ...but Japan didn't agree with that assessment.

(...) That would be fun establishing? (...) So we should "go with the flow", accept morals which we as individuals do not agree with? I'm not saying either moral relativism or objectivism is "wrong" or "right", I just think most of us operate in the (...) (23 years ago, 1-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Violence created by presence of guns? (was: Gotta loveOracle...)

(...) You already guessed that I prefer a different solution, didn't you? I think it's time to agree that we disagree. The discussion has not brought up any new arguments for a while ... (...) I am for sure not going to tell you what you should do (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 'work of neo-Nazis' (Re: Anthrax Info)

(...) So you think it is OK that they use the internet to spread their propaganda even to countries which have good reasons to disallow this type of propaganda? Or do you think there could be no good reasons to disallow tis type of proaganda? It (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 6 degrees of separation..

(...) Maybe airline security? ROSCO (23 years ago, 1-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 6 degrees of separation..

(...) You mean like how Police Departments LOVE civil forfeiture because it gives them Corvettes and powerboats and big piles of cash to play with without having to budget for them (1)? Like that? Nothing speculative about it. 1 - or justify how (...) (23 years ago, 1-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 6 degrees of separation..

(...) Rampant cynical speculation would prompt me to guess that the frozen assets in question are currently under the jurisdiction of the State Department, and they've already spent the money on something else. But that's just rampant cynical (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Okinawa, a foretaste of invading the main islands..

(...) That may be true, certainly a lot of people hold that opinion. Hanson is just another of those people. Doesn't prove the assertion, though. ROSCO (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 6 degrees of separation..

(...) Is that a global (America) "we're"? And who exactly does "they" refer to? It's a bit naive to try & judge "relative goodness" of a nation (or a people) by such a list (even if you could compile such a list). IMO. ROSCO (who thinks Americans (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  ...but Japan didn't agree with that assessment.

(...) General principles, agreeable to all people? Something like the UDHR? The bulk of world opinion? (...) See the subject line for relativism, at least in the perceptual sense. LFB (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Anthrax worse than AIDS?

(...) I agree. This really does illustrate the importance of IP. However, that argument should be held separate from that surrounding those profiteering based on the current situation... in my view. Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 6 degrees of separation..

(...) It is not just the dictators who respect Ramadan - do not forget that. If we bomb through Ramadan we will be dammed as being insensitive. If we choose to stop for Ramadan, we will be dammed for making a cynical token move. Nevertheless, I (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 6 degrees of separation..

(...) Not sure what you're asking, exactly. But THAT won't stop me from pontificating nevertheless. I'm not sure an unambiguous statement can be made based solely on this one personal account (and I personally vouch for Paul's veracity... I have (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Anthrax worse than AIDS?

(...) Foreign patents are no less important than US patents in my view and that of Mr. Goldberg (URL)To me it seems the US are trying to save some money in this case, whereas (...) Mr. Goldberg makes the argument that this attempt to steal Bayer's (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  .. but japan was 'beat' by the time the main island was reached.

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message (...) Are you saying moral objectivism is the correct path? If so, on what should it be based? The bible? The Koran? Book of Mormon? I would have thought you'd have said moral relativism (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 6 degrees of separation..

(...) Read this: ==+== "If any government sponsors the outlaws and killers of innocents," George Bush announced on the day he began bombing Afghanistan, "they have become outlaws and murderers themselves. And they will take that lonely path at their (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Tartan

(...) I think it is ~OK~. (...) Again OK, I prefer your Crawford. Scott A No, I don't know what they all look like. I had to look here: (URL) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 'work of neo-Nazis' (Re: Anthrax Info)

(...) Not that long ago in the USA: neo-Nazis = ~OK~ Communists = Not Ok. Hmm. Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 6 degrees of separation..

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:GM1qKx.Do9@lugnet.com... (...) Wow. Makes you think more than twice when someone comes up to you and tries to convince you that 'we're the real terrorists.' Bull. Anyways, that's not (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Is Larry a Creationist? 8^) Re: Future of Humanity (was: lotsa stuff)

(...) Just to clarify. Microevolution is a change in allele frequences of pre-existing variants within a population, whereas mutation is the ultimate source of that variation. Onto Dave's point about the macroevolution being a strawman. I'm pretty (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: 6 degrees of separation..

(...) One wonders why the State Department seems so dead against such compensation? Anyone know? ROSCO (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Future of Humanity (was: lotsa stuff)

(...) I'll have to partially disagree. Humankind has done a lot to *lessen" selection pressure on ourselves but we, to my knowledge, have not found a way to eliminate an environmental factor (in the broad sense). However, humans will continue to (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact