 Off-Topic / Debate / 14520
Re: I miss the old LUGNET...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 19:24:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Inosanto wrote:
All that is wanted is for Lugnet to become a better place that what it • has
become since the silly(1) email thing was set up, because it has hurt • this
site more than it has helped(2).

I think you missed the point of what (most) people posted about.  They're
not talking on a change in the last few months, but in a change over the
past 3-5 years!  I doubt the email/nntp authuntication had that kind of
effect on the community, in the few months it's been in force.

(1) In my view this was done to keep ONE person out, but it does not mean • he
could not very easily get around it. This overreacting if you ask me, an
futile attempt to keep one man out - but at this point there is just no
going back, no matter how muck we would like it to go back.

While one person pointed out the probem, he just proved that assuming the
community as a whole will behave is a bad assumption.  Aside that fact, I,
personally, love knowing that I can believe the 'From' line in messages
from lugnet.  It's something I don't trust in most electronic
communications, unless signed cyptographicly.

(2) the 'I like it' posts have almost stopped, this is not in question.
People want and in some cases need this feedback and thanks to Todd's
paronia and hard-headness, it has almost stopped - but for why.....
And if you noticed - there have been a few "I miss the old lugnet" type • of
threads - does anybody care to take a wild guess as to why all these type • of
threads have started??

You don't have to post to the newsgroup (and clutter it) to say 'I like it'
- I think that kind of responce should be in email anyway.  But if you feel
it needs to be posted, and the authunitcation bothers you so, why not
switch to the web interface?  Members posting via the web do not need to
authenicate their posts.

:)

Dan