 Off-Topic / Debate / 14468
Re: Girlfriends Guardians!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 22:27:02 GMT

   The subject line made me think, at first, that we were talking
   about Paradisa mecha.  ;)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Rick Hallman writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:
My advice to you would be to "tread lightly."  If you have a serious
relationship that could last long-term, then with some patience and discretion
you should be able to last until you are both 18 and she is free to chose whom
to see.

She is 18, I am 16... So she is probably old enough to decide that stuff.

   Yes, but as long as she's under her guardians' (they're not
   her parents?) roof, they have the ability to monitor and modify
   her behaviour.  Her other option, of course, is to get kicked
   out of the house, but I'm sure it would get very ugly long before
   that.  Hyperprotective parents have a tendency to get really,
   really, really wacky, especially if they don't recognize her
   rights as an adult once she's 18.  I knew one girl in particular
   I went to college with who--at 21 and older--still couldn't stay
   out after 9pm without her parents' permission, and their
   parents would CALL them every hour on the hour some nights, as
   late as 2 am, which annoyed her dorm-mates to no end.  No big
   shock, then, that they also berated every fellow she ever had an
   interest in as a slavering sex-beast who "wasn't Christian enough"
   (surprising considering that Julian was the president of Christians
   in Action on campus).  The last time I saw her, she'd just finally
   been able to move out on her own--at age 29--and she looked like
   a complete nervous wreck.

   So I'm a pessimist.  What is the foundation of their not liking
   you?  Is she "controlled" in other ways too?  Or is it just this
   one specific relationship they're against?

   LFB