 Off-Topic / Debate / 14467
Re: Girlfriends Guardians!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 22:04:09 GMT

This doesn't really apply to the root question anymore, but...

you may be taggable as one of those "sex offenders" that gets
watched for 25 years. (someone ought to test the constitutionality of that,
actually, but I digress...)

  I've wondered about that as well.  On one hand, if a medically
demonstrable risk continues to exist that an individual will commit a crime
again, is it not in the public's interest to be appropriately informed, even
at the expense of that individual's right to privacy?  The crux appears to
be whether or not the individual has paid his "debt to society" by serving a
prison term (or what-have-you), but if sexual predation isn't simply a crime
but an illness, might not more stringent controls be appropriate?  Granted,
the treatment for illness should't be incarceration in prison, but some sort
of treatment (and detention in the meantime) seems justifiable.
  Certain drugs like Depo Provera show promise as a means of reining in
predatory urges, and, while the chemical effects wane after treatment is
terminated, the behaviors learned during treatment can help control such
behaviors.  However, the long-term health effects are not known; might that
sort of treatment be acceptable, or at least preferable, to prison?
  Just asking, really--I don't have a good answer.

     Dave!