 Off-Topic / Debate / 14466
Re: Girlfriends Guardians!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 22:01:16 GMT

She is 18, as I said before, and if i understand what you and James are
saying this makes her an adult and willing to do as she pleases. And my
parents love her, I just wish her guardians felt the same way about me...

Rick

Just noticed this thread while trying to find info on clones, but anyway.

I am an attorney in Washington State.  It sounds like you would be safe from
any criminal prosecutions if you had sexual relations (although she would
not necessarily be).  However, that is not the end of the analysis.

Guardians are created by legal process.  While I obviously don't know the
details of this particular situation, often there are provisions for
support, age she gets her inheritance, etc.  They are often set up with the
idea in mind that 18 year olds may not be ready to direct their own affairs.
It may be that she will not be legally entitled to anything until she is,
say, 21.  Or her money may be in trust, to be spent on her as her guardians
or a trustee may see fit.

Until you are ready to fully support her with income, a place to live, etc,
her guardians are going to have a lot of say about her activities.  I
suggest a meeting with your parents, yourself, your girlfriend, and her
guardians to find out what concerns they have, maybe over dinner?  If they
find out that you care for your girlfriend very much, as they do, they may
soften.