 Off-Topic / Debate / 14469
Re: Girlfriends Guardians!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 23:54:08 GMT

This doesn't really apply to the root question anymore, but...

you may be taggable as one of those "sex offenders" that gets
watched for 25 years. (someone ought to test the constitutionality of that,
actually, but I digress...)

I've wondered about that as well.  On one hand, if a medically
demonstrable risk continues to exist that an individual will commit a crime
again, is it not in the public's interest to be appropriately informed, even
at the expense of that individual's right to privacy?

Yes.

The crux appears to be whether or not the individual has paid his "debt to
society" by serving a prison term (or what-have-you), but if sexual predation
isn't simply a crime but an illness, might not more stringent controls be
appropriate?

Yes.

Granted, the treatment for illness should't be incarceration in prison, but
some sort of treatment (and detention in the meantime) seems justifiable.
Certain drugs like Depo Provera show promise as a means of reining in
predatory urges, and, while the chemical effects wane after treatment is
terminated, the behaviors learned during treatment can help control such
behaviors.

But why should the rest of society have to live with the possibility that the
offender's behavior may not be controlled?  Or the possibility that the
offender may decide not to show up for his Depo Provera treatment (or get his
prescription refilled, if that's what it is)?  Nope, make it a permanent fix.
(And I would be willing to accept a 100 year time release Depo Provera
implant-- a deep inaccessible implant-- as a permanent fix!)

However, the long-term health effects are not known; might that
sort of treatment be acceptable, or at least preferable, to prison?

Does anyone really care about the long-term health effects on these people?
Economically speaking the drugs (assuming the biotechnology exists) would be
cheaper for society than locking the offender up.

Just asking, really--I don't have a good answer.

Just killing twenty minutes, really-- I don't either, just strong opinions that
probably won't sway or be swayed.

Maggie C.