 Off-Topic / Debate / 14460
14459  |  14461
Subject:
Dear Aby...with a difference (was: Girlfriends Guardians!!!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 19:42:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Rick Hallman writes:
Hello.
As some of you may or may not know, I am in a relationship where my
girlfriend's guardians do not like me much,

Do they know you?  What don't they like?  Maybe they're just not ready for
their sweet little honey-kins to be growing up.  Have you asked them what their
problem is (I'd recommend phrasing it a bit differently)?

they have false accusations
against me, and even filed a police report against me because they do not
like me, the police report was proven entirely false as well, considering it
involved driving, and I am still not legal age to drive.

Hey, I drove before it was legal...that doesn't sound like good proof to me.
But it does sound like you have gotten off on the wrong foot with her folks.
Do you have anything in common with them?  I know about a dozen fifteen year
olds and I can only think of one who anunciates clearly.  Do you?  If not,
learn to.

My question is,
does anybody have advice that might "break the ice" between me and her
guardians.

You could sneak in late at night and tie them...nevermind that probably
wouldn't work.  If they just don't know you and you're a decent guy, you just
need to talk to them.  When two people are having some kind of social problem,
they can often just talk it out.  Try that, and always remember that you're
their equal -- neither their inferior (because adults are intimidating) nor
their superior (because they're nuts), just another person trying to get along.
If they're weirded out because their daughter is getting old enough to have
sexual relations, then they're just going to have to get over it...or ruin
their collective lives trying to staple her down.  And the last possibility is
that you're a real scumbag.  If that's the case then I'm afraid that you're out
of luck.  (I'm not trying to insult you, just covering the bases, I don't know
who you are.)

I wish to be able to be with my girlfriend more then just at
Youth Group and our friends parties, but with her guardians not liking me,

What's the deal with this guardian thing anyway?  Why aren't they
parents...that might be the problem at root.

and not even knowing I do have a relationship with my girlfriend.

They must know that there's something otherwise they wouldn't be making trouble
for you.  Is there something you aren't telling us?

(Her guardian would pull her immediatly out of the
activities where we see each other).

That's pretty invasive.  Sounds like bad parenting to me.

I need advice!

Good luck.

Chris