 Off-Topic / Debate / 14508
Re: No evil people
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 17:29:47 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Carl Watson writes:

IMO all those people performed evil acts.

How do you define an 'evil person'?

Candidate definition: Someone who consistently performs evil acts, knowing
that under objective morality they are evil.

How do you define evil?

Well, I guess I'd want to hear your definition, since you presumably have
one since you agreed with me on the candidate evildoers. I may well agree
with it.

Can someone perform evil acts & not be an evil person.

Accidentally, or if they show remorse, atonement and compensate the victims
andchange their ways later.

Is an 'evil person' always evil?

I'm thinking not. But I'm not sure I'd care to try to rehabilitate Stalin
and make him into a good person. (somehow reminds me of 1984...) I'd rather
he just suffered the consequences of his acts and let him sort it out
himself what to do.

Where they born evil?

I'm thinking only rarely, if ever. Nurture not nature?