 Off-Topic / Debate / 14461
Re: Dear Aby...with a difference (was: Girlfriends Guardians!!!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 19:59:53 GMT

Do they know you?  What don't they like?  Maybe they're just not ready for
their sweet little honey-kins to be growing up.  Have you asked them what >their problem is (I'd recommend phrasing it a bit differently)?
They have met me once or twice when I picked her up for youth group before
we got real serious, and any other information was supplied by their son,
who despises me. Goes out of his way to insult me in hall.. :-\. I have
been advised to write a letter asking in a VERY pilite manner what's up?

Hey, I drove before it was legal...that doesn't sound like good proof to me.
But it does sound like you have gotten off on the wrong foot with her folks.
Do you have anything in common with them?  I know about a dozen fifteen year
olds and I can only think of one who anunciates clearly.  Do you?  If not,
learn to.
My parents will NOT let me drive illegally, they are not fibbing on my
friving record for them to get me out of rides and stuff. At the time the
report was filed (Apr-01), I was IN drivers ed, and I didnt even know how to
drive a stick at the time, which means I couldn;'t drive any of my parent's
cars... And what is anunciates? I don't know if I have anything in common.
Might ask GF next time I see her.

You could sneak in late at night and tie them...nevermind that probably
wouldn't work.  If they just don't know you and you're a decent guy, you just
need to talk to them.  When two people are having some kind of social problem,
they can often just talk it out.  Try that, and always remember that you're
their equal -- neither their inferior (because adults are intimidating) nor
their superior (because they're nuts), just another person trying to get >along.
Okay. When would be a good time to do this? Out of the blue? call and ask first?

If they're weirded out because their daughter is getting old enough to have
sexual relations, then they're just going to have to get over it...or ruin
their collective lives trying to staple her down.  And the last possibility is
that you're a real scumbag.  If that's the case then I'm afraid that you're >out of luck.  (I'm not trying to insult you, just covering the bases, I don't >know who you are.)
Hmmm, good point. Maybe the Mother Hen theory? In that my girlfriends mother
died, her dad abandoned them, and maybe her guardian is being overprotective...

What's the deal with this guardian thing anyway?  Why aren't they
parents...that might be the problem at root.
Read above.

They must know that there's something otherwise they wouldn't be making trouble
for you.  Is there something you aren't telling us?
Like what? I said in the upper section that they met me once or twice, and
all other information is fed by their son, who could be considered a
"druggie" in school slang, and I am anti-drug in an active way. Maybe he fed
information throguh them because I have different viewpoints then him?

That's pretty invasive.  Sounds like bad parenting to me.
Ick. Don't wanna say "You're a bad parent!"

Rick