 Off-Topic / Debate / 14456
Re: 'work of neo-Nazis' (Re: Anthrax Info)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 18:01:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Horst Lehner writes:

I tend to think that the fact that we allow them their proper freedoms is the
reason that we generally have little problem with them.

So you think it is OK that they use the internet to spread their propaganda
even to countries which have good reasons to disallow this type of
propaganda?

That's easy - don't allow the Internet!  It's something that was created in
the United States anyway - complaining about how we use our own creation
doesn't seem to carry great moral weight.

Or do you think there could be no good reasons to disallow tis
type of proaganda?

Yes, but at least here, there is a general feeling that there is a better
reason to allow it (where does censorship end?).

It seems to me your freedom in the US has never been at
stake through an internal threat. This is different from most European
countries, so we don't see propaganda activities against freedom as proper
use of freedom.

I understand where you are coming from, though I think thought police like
Joe McCarthy would be a good example as an example of freedom being at stake
through an internal threat.

I agree that it's an abuse of freedom, but if you don't allow it, then you
don't have the very freedom you are trying to safeguard.  Perhaps we are
refusing to cut off our nose just because it's ugly.  Perhaps in Europe it
goes beyond ugly to cancerous.  America has some unique attitudes that we
can get away with because of our geographical isolation and long traditions.

Bruce