 Off-Topic / Debate / 14453
Re: 'work of neo-Nazis' (Re: Anthrax Info)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 11:40:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Horst Lehner writes:

I tend to think that the fact that we allow them their proper freedoms is the
reason that we generally have little problem with them.

So you think it is OK that they use the internet to spread their propaganda
even to countries which have good reasons to disallow this type of
propaganda? Or do you think there could be no good reasons to disallow tis
type of proaganda? It seems to me your freedom in the US has never been at
stake through an internal threat. This is different from most European
countries, so we don't see propaganda activities against freedom as proper
use of freedom.

This is a dangerous line to try to draw. We think it safer for freedom to
allow people to say what they will and let the audience decide, than to
suppress kinds of speech. (pulling up the rock often has a far worse effect
on the grubs that live beneath it than leaving it be)

Where we do draw the line is on speech that directly incites. But that line
is hard to find.

It has worked well for us so far for the most part. Our founding fathers
thought about this question, as with so many others around freedom and the
proper role of government, and it's discussed in the Federalist Papers.