 Off-Topic / Debate / 14458
Re: 'work of neo-Nazis' (Re: Anthrax Info)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 19:22:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Horst Lehner writes:
So you think it is OK that they use the internet to spread their propaganda

Yes.  Absolutely.  Without reservation.  Not only OK, but actually good.  It is
much easier to track their activities when they advertise.

even to countries which have good reasons to disallow this type of
propaganda? Or do you think there could be no good reasons to disallow tis
type of proaganda?

There is no good reason to prevent people from hearing ideas and allowing them
to compete for adherents.  If people behave in a right-infringing way then we
have to do something about it.  Or at least we've decided to often do so.  If
your country doesn't want that kind of media, then filter it.  It's not like
radio waves that you can't control...except when it is.

It seems to me your freedom in the US has never been at
stake through an internal threat.

Like the US civil war?  Like the bombing of the OKC federal building?  Like
wacky cultists who contaminate salid bars with botulism?  What kind of threat
do you want?  I think it's just that our freedom will stand the test of every
threat, internal or not, because it is a great power in its own right.

This is different from most European
countries, so we don't see propaganda activities against freedom as proper
use of freedom.

I think it's that you value the outcomes of freedom more than the freedom
itself and so you don't see that the freedom has to be the most important
thing.  But really, only time will tell.

Chris