 Off-Topic / Debate / 14454
Re: 6 degrees of separation..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 15:46:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

One wonders why the State Department seems so dead against such
compensation?
Anyone know?

Rampant cynical speculation would prompt me to guess that the frozen assets
in question are currently under the jurisdiction of the State Department,
and they've already spent the money on something else.

You mean like how Police Departments LOVE civil forfeiture because it gives
them Corvettes and powerboats and big piles of cash to play with without
having to budget for them (1)?

Like that?

Yup, much like that indeed.

Nothing speculative about it.

There is speculation, in that I didn't actually go check and see if the
frozen funds are in the State Department sandbox.  So I might be ascribing
selfish motives where mere beaurocratic inertia is sufficient.  I'm not sure
which is worse, but they're both pretty bad (not that my country does things
better).

thanks,

James