 Off-Topic / Debate / 14448
Re: 6 degrees of separation..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 00:09:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

One wonders why the State Department seems so dead against such compensation?
Anyone know?

Rampant cynical speculation would prompt me to guess that the frozen assets
in question are currently under the jurisdiction of the State Department,
and they've already spent the money on something else.

But that's just rampant cynical speculation.

You mean like how Police Departments LOVE civil forfeiture because it gives
them Corvettes and powerboats and big piles of cash to play with without
having to budget for them (1)?

Like that?

Nothing speculative about it.

1 - or justify how they're used (2)

2 - because after all they're from "drug dealers" who are now too broke to
prove differently (3) and not "costing the taxpayers anything"(4)

3-  under the Napoleonic way that civil forfeiture works, you get to prove
your money is innocent instead of the state proving it is guilty. So much
for habeus corpus. No corpus involved to habeus. Isn't that tidy?

4 - except the erosion of the morals of everyone involved and the lost
productivity from people trying to get their goods back instead of using
them to produce more goods.

++Lar