 Off-Topic / Debate / 14493
Re: Future of Humanity (was: lotsa stuff)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 20:45:41 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
I dispute that.  While there will always be people on the far edges of the bell
curve no matter what the scale of the curve, I would tend to believe that having
that curve shifted UP would increase the chance of our species surviving longer,
simply because we can't rely on a few supergeniuses to save our butts.  Having the
curve higher increases the chance of our species solving all of its current and
future problems, IMO.

<snappy rejoinder>
I think it's got a lot more to do with conscience than brains. It's because
we're the smartest/most technological species that we're in a position to
wipe ourselves out (see crechebaby thread for "extinction" scenario).

IMO, intelligence may help us overcome various individual events[2], but makes
little (if any) difference to the overall evolution of a species.

[2] which may range from milliseconds to several generations, but that's still
a needle in the haystack of evolution

#2 is more important than you think, IMO.  Having our species intelligence level
increase gives us a better chance of solving problems that may wipe us out.  If
we're wiped out, we can't evolve further, now, can we?

Most of those problems are a consequence of misapplying/overestimating our
intelligence (IMHO).  Leaving aside asteroid collisions, almost all
catastrophes that could decimate our species would be self-inflicted.

Basically, relying on technological fixes fails the precautionary principle.
Better to tread cautiously and forgo the possible payoffs than risk disaster.

--DaveL