 Off-Topic / Debate / 14494
Re: Future of Humanity (was: lotsa stuff)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 20:54:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:

I'm no physiologist, and this is largely based on mediocre SF, but I think
it's quite possible that humans will evolve rapidly as a response to low
gravity conditions (if that's not a selective pressure I don't know what
is!!). More immediately, development and growth could easily be affected
(lower bone densities etc) and cultural/physical antipathy to Earth would
create a population bottleneck. Isolated population + novel environment =
classic speciation scenario.

I think one of the biggest shifts in our species "unnatural evolution" will come
when we stop worrying about the effect of zerogee (ZG) on the human body and
split into ZG and PlusG branches, where ZGs will have no DESIRE to visit planets
and deal with the nasty gravity there.   At that point, there's a good chance
that most PlusGs won't have any desire to deal with ZG either.

<nit-pick>
I  think this is totally natural evolution. Our technology is an extension
of our phenotype, just culturally expressed rather than genetically, and
since it lets us access a new environment it makes biological sense that we
adapt to that environment. We might need to tinker a bit before we can cope
with a near-vacuum though.

--DaveL