 Off-Topic / Debate / 14473
Re: Doing the Discover Mag Rag (Was: At last, a Federal program we can all support.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 03:33:01 GMT

PS I thought the recent article on Russia in NG quite fascinating. But 3
generations??? that's depressing.

Well, the guy who said 3 generations didn't really specify what his critera
were.

To get a self-sustaining market economy could take just a few years.  To get
their economy, middle class, and standard of living up to expectations set
by their observations of the first world (1), I could see it taking several
generations.

I see the Russian economy as sitting on a plateau -- they've gone through
enormous changes after the fall of the Soviet Union, but now need to spend
the time and effort to assimilate the change.  The primary roadblock to the
next big one, that is the old traditions which were learned during
communism, will literally need to die along with those who still hold on to
them.  So no, I don't find a forecast involving a generational turnover
surprising.

But ya, sure, it's depressing.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  Boy, THERE's a term that is kinda meaningless in a US/Russia converation
now :-,